Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many 5 inch newts (N. v.) could I fit in a 125 gallon (475 liter) tank?

sharrakor

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting a 125 gallon tank for my larvae once they are fully grown. Currently, I have 3 adults (5 inches each), 13 juveniles, and basically as many eggs as I want, since my female is laying again! :)

If I have just this type of newt in the tank, how many do you think I can comfortably fit in there? The tank base tank dimensions will be something like 6 feet by 1.5-2 feet. It will be a planted tank with a canister filter.

I'm asking because I am trying to see how many more larvae I should raise. They are Penninsula newts (N. v. piaropicola), in case anyone was wondering.

slowfoot

Reaction score
You could probably fit as many adults as you could produce for the next few years. They aren't aggressive (except with food) or territorial. The only thing I would worry about is if you have a skewed sex ratio during the breeding season: the females could get stressed if there are too many males. You might just need to remove some males temporarily to give the females a break.

sharrakor

Reaction score
You could probably fit as many adults as you could produce for the next few years. They aren't aggressive (except with food) or territorial. The only thing I would worry about is if you have a skewed sex ratio during the breeding season: the females could get stressed if there are too many males. You might just need to remove some males temporarily to give the females a break.

So, you think even 40 would be ok? I think I will have a much larger number of juveniles come from this batch of eggs. Also, thanks for the tip about the sexes.

Btw, how is Sneaky doing?

slowfoot

Reaction score
He's doing well, thanks :D

I guess it depends on how many juveniles become efts, or transition directly to adulthood. I've never kept piaropicola so I don't know how likely they are to enter the eft stage. But I usually lose about half of my larvae when they transition to land and then it takes 2-3 years for them to finally go back to the water, losing a few more along the way to random things. So I never have as many adults as I start out with.

sharrakor

Reaction score
Well, N. v. p. actually always skip the eft stage :) So most of them will likely make it to adulthood. They are basically fully aquatic their entire lives; one important detail I forgot to mention is that the tank will be 98% water.

Currently, my 8-9 month old juveniles are around 1.5-2 inches long, and already fully morphed.

...And I already have 14 more eggs :)

slowfoot

Reaction score
I think you could probably keep 40 in a tank that large if everyone gets along. It will probably be harder to make sure everyone gets fed properly because there are always shy and bold individuals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!