Question: My first axle

Thomomom

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey guys my name is Tom and i have just joined the forums, this is because today i am getting my new axolotal. it will be white and a few months old, i know that i must feed him earthworms as a healthy source of protein but is there anything at this age to feed him not including bloodworms and beef!

Just make sure to use earthworms as the main food item. Anything else should be given as a treat to vary the axolotl's diet. Also, make sure not to use gravel in your tank. It is a mistake that is best to avoid before getting the axolotl.

Best of luck! :D

excuse my ignorance but why would you not use gravel?? i have large gravel so my axy cant eat it

excuse my ignorance but why would you not use gravel?? i have large gravel so my axy cant eat it

How large is 'large'? I don't know of any gravel that is too large to fit in an axolotl's mouth. The only things large enough are what people call river rocks. Even pebbles that you think are bigger than your axolotl's head have the potential to be swallowed. But back to your question; gravel is frowned upon because regardless of whether or not you hand feed, axolotl's will vacuum the substrate at one point or another. If your axolotl swallows pieces, chances are they will poop it out but there is also the possibility that it will become impacted and kill the poor thing. Basically there's no point risking it..

Frozen bloodworms, good food source? and i have noticed all the white axils ive seen have black eyes but my one is very small and must only be a few months old but has white eyes, what does this mean?

Frozen bloodworms, good food source? and i have noticed all the white axils ive seen have black eyes but my one is very small and must only be a few months old but has white eyes, what does this mean?

They're an alright food source, but earthworms are better. And the white eyes mean it's albino instead of leucistic. You should have a look at the axolotl website under genetics. Anything you'd want to know about his color can be found there.

IN terms of activity, is it normal for him to just stand around and not do much when i first get him, he doesn't really eat, is this due to a new surroundings?

IN terms of activity, is it normal for him to just stand around and not do much when i first get him, he doesn't really eat, is this due to a new surroundings?

That's normal behaviour because yes, he's adjusting to his new surroundings. At the moment he needs time to settle in but within the next few weeks you should notice him move around a lot more and accept food. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back