Cycling question - ammonia source

KEhleyr

Reaction score
Country
England
Ive read the guide here

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

It says a good source of ammonia to start the cycle is frozen brine shrimp. I dont use this for my axies I use live blood worm to feed them. I have just started to cycle their new tank. Can anyone else suggest another good source as I dont want to buy a load of frozen brine shrimp just for cycling. I will if I have to I just wondered if anyone has any other recommendations first. The blood worm any good?

Thanks in advance :happy:

From the article you linked to:

Possible sources for the ammonia are easily decomposed materials

NitrogenCycle.jpg
Based on the photo I would assume the following are all good options: a couple of small feeder fish, fish flakes, frozen blood worm, frozen brine shrimp cubes, axolotl pellets, etc.

Just buy a few feeder goldfish for like $0.10 each, put them in the aquarium and feed them small amounts of food daily. That's how I prefer to cycle new tanks, cause if you lose a 10 cent fish who really cares?

Thanks. Never seen a fish for 10p here but wont hurt to look around tomorrow :happy:

do you have a tank with axolotls i it already?

I would suggest some cheap fish, and if you know someone with an aquarium see if they can squeeze the water from one of their filter pads to help jump start your own, get a shot of good bacteria in there to start things off with

If you want an instant cycle that will be ready almost right away you can use a product called Dr. Tim's One and Only. It has all the bacteria you need to instantly cycle your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back