Very early larvae

2gsom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
When transferring some eggs and cleaning out some sand from their nursery tank I broke two eggs by accident. The babies were obviously alive so I could not bring myself to dispose of them despite their immaturity . I left them and to my surprise they are alive still 3 days later. I have started feeding them but I wonder if they will survive. they were 10 days old when they were accidently hatched. They are less than 1cm long and probably only 1 to 1.5mm wide. Just thought I would share this interesting experience. I will post some photos later of these itsy bitsy larvae.

Just feed them baby brine shrimp twice a day and keep their water clean and you never know, they might survive

Thanks that is the plan. they are still ok today.

thats good news. they are stronger than you think.......please keep us informed how they go

The twinz as they are no known are still ok. must be eating and appear a tiny bit bigger now. Their fellow hatch lings are mostly hatched now. :happy:

Here are some photos of them one by themselves and the other with some siblings. I am keeping them in food containers in a polystyrene box with air holes to keep their temperature stable as the weather is heating up here but our house is cool. i will put a thermometer in with them to keep an eye on the temp.:happy:

Attachments

• axie lavae the twinz sept 16 2012.jpg
    axie lavae the twinz sept 16 2012.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 264
  • axie lavae 16th sept 2012.jpg
    axie lavae 16th sept 2012.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 253
The early babies are still growing strong eating cut up black worms now and are a bit bigger then their clutch-mates.:happy:

Glad to hear that!! I have one baby axie exactly like yours, hatched only 9.5 days after the eggs were laid... it even got a serious fungal infection straight after (due to some rotten eggs in the same container), with fluffly things growing all over it's gills and toes. I gave him a few salt baths and to my surprise, it fully recovered and survived!!! it is also feeding on cut-up blackworms like yours :D, so happy these tough little things all made it!!

Just thought i will share some photos of my baby taken at the time it hatched. it didn't even have eyes developed at that stage.

Attachments

• premature_1.jpg
    premature_1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Premature_2.jpg
    Premature_2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 241
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back