Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiny white creature's in Axie's tank *pics*

lunascrest

Reaction score
So it's been about a week now since i've notice these tiny, tiny white organisms swimming about, but mostly sticking to the glass and on the floor of the tank. I recently put a new plant in, so I know that's probably a contributing factor as to where these little things came from. They swim at a decent speed, not too fast, not too slow. I don't know what they are, but they remind me of mites so i'm a little concerned about Lime's health. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knows what these are so that if they are dangerous I can get them taken care of :violent:

011.jpg

on the tank wall

012.jpg

On the sand at the bottom

010-2.jpg

Here they are all over the place

limey1.jpg

As you can see, they aren't clinging onto him or anything and he's not acting stressed or anything.
The little buggers are all around his feet. He seems fine, but I'm still worried!!!

markcorpus

Reaction score
Possibly Detritus worms. Not something to be alarmed about. Monitor the amounts of uneaten food allowed to decay in the habitat. Can you view them up close and see if they are worm-like?

lunascrest

Reaction score
There were some white worms earlier in the week but they were dead at the botton so I wasn't too worried about them, but the majority are very round, almost like daphnia but much smaller.

lunascrest

Reaction score
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it! Now that I know they're harmless I'm not worried about my little limey! I'm just going to let these little things run their course :)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
It's hard to tell because the photo is blurry but if hey swim by a darting, stop and go movement they are Cyclops a common freshwater copepod and harmless. A great newt and axolotl larvae food item.

lunascrest

Reaction score
That's what i'm hoping, it's just that they are everywhere in the tank and I just don't like it! It seems as if my axie is starting to get a little irritated with them covering the aquarium floor. I'm just going to do another water change and hope for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!