Hello from NovaScotia Canada

ACF

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Glad I found this forum. What an amazingly well constructed site!!

I am managing an Animal Care Facility for a university and have a researcher wanting to raise and breed our local spotted salamanders - Ambystoma maculatum. I'm reading like crazy all over this site (SO much great stuff!) but still not finding anyone who has successfully breed these animals in captivity.

We have many larvae now metamorphosing into salamanders. We have facilities to regulate temperature and photoperiod, but not sure if I can grow them to maturity faster by not simulating winters. Or do they need winter?

I will start a thread on this issue under the proper species location elsewhere.

Nice to be here where people truly CARE about these lovely critters.

Canadian's from the East coast! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back