Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I want zero babies!

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
I hope this doesnt start anything bad.

But! I am planning on purchasing 2(maybe 3) more axolotls. At the moment I have two males in a 50 gallon.
If one of my new axoltols were to become female. With out sperating (I dont have a second Chiller which i need during the summers or the space for another large tank) how would i prevent eggs and babies and the whole shabang?

I am in no position to be raising axolotls (or anything!) at the moment

so is there a safe way to steriliz axolotls?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to stop reproduction is to keep the sexes separate :D If you do end up with eggs, you can sell/ re-home them, leave them in the tank to be eaten or just chuck them :D

Minniechild

Reaction score
Also, you can alter the environment to try and avoid it- mine have bred when they've had natural day/night cycles in time with the falling water temperatures, so keeping the light on 14 hours a day all year round, and the water a bit warmer but at a constant temperature all year around may also help :)

ilomilo

Reaction score
Or go the obvious route and....don't add any more. five axies in a 50 gallon just seems cramped to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!