Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Easy beginner Caudata?

felix453

Reaction score
This year as part of a new science program at school, I wish to breed a few different kinds of fish/reptiles/ and amphibians. I'm going to purchase a few axolotl eggs soon but my main question is what are relatively easy species of newts or salamanders to breed. Just looking for something to get my feet wet, all help is appreciated. Thanks!

DeCypher

Reaction score
Re: Easy beginner Cadauta?

Axolotls, Ambystoma Tigrinum, all types of firebelly newts, Notophthalmus Viridescens, paddletails. Those are all fairly easy, in my opinion.

felix453

Reaction score

Thanks, Any other easy species to breed :D

Ghost1

Banned
Reaction score

Tigrinum and paddletails are not at all easy to breed.

felix453

Reaction score

Yeah, sorry if in the original post it sounded as if I meant "keep". I probably made it clearer that I would like to find some easy to breed guys.

otolith

Reaction score

Pleurodeles waltl, Mesotriton alpestris apuanas, and Triturus dobrogicus are all pretty easy to breed. If keeping them cool is a problem I'd go with Pleurodeles; very temperature tolerant for a caudate and very charismatic! Probably the easiest to breed of the three and the most readily available. Notos can be tricky to get in to breeding condition and the eft stage can be difficult if you're not able to culture your own foods.

methodik

Reaction score

Most people made good experiences with Hypselotriton as well. As long as they are captive bred, get a setup full of plants and are fed well, they will spawn (sometimes twice a year). However, they are a little tricky in raising, as the morphs are tiny.

felix453

Reaction score

Awesome, you guys are great!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Easiest ones to breed: A.mexicanum, P.waltl, any Triturus, I.a.apuanus, C.pyrrhogaster, C.ensicauda and all Hypselotriton.
Easiest to raise: A.mexicanum, P.waltl and any Triturus.

ahritchie

Reaction score

Another vote for P.waltl, mine breed all year long without any cooling period or any special treatment :D Also, they are not picky eaters to say the least, and gladly accept salmon pellets within a couple months of hatching which saves time and money, and results in very robust healthy newts. They are very active too, almost personable, which makes them great to display.

felix453

Reaction score

How are the crocodile newts at breeding, asking this before I jump into the threads!

DeCypher

Reaction score

Woops, sorry, didn't know he was asking about breeding as well.

Niels D

Reaction score

P.waltl and H.orientalis breed like rabbits if you ask me. Most Triturus species aren't so difficult as well. All these species are pretty pretty pretty!

felix453

Reaction score

So just to be sure, H.orientalis is a fire-bellied newt? Thanks for all the help guys!

evut

Reaction score
Yes, it's also called the Chinese fire-belly (formerly Cynops orientalis). You can get a better idea about the different species mentioned here.
The articles section also has a lot of information about housing and breeding.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
H.orientalis is a very easy species to breed, but not quite so easy to raise. Plus all available animals from pet-shops are WC.
I would recommend one of the large bodied ones whose juveniles are big, ferocious and can be raised aquatic....in short, go for P.waltl....

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

How are the crocodile newts at breeding, asking this before I jump into the threads!

If you can get a fully-aquatic bloodline of Tylototriton verrucosus, they are easy to breed. The other Tylototriton (crocodile newts) are relatively difficult to breed.

Molch

Reaction score

I'd recommend Hypselotriton (Cynops) cyanurus or chenggongensis, the blue-tailed firebelly. Easy to keep, very pretty, cute, and tolerate higher temperatures (into the mid-70ies). I haven't yet figured out how to prevent mine from breeding, hehe.

They are often available here on the board as healthy, sturdy captive-bred offspring.

Whatever you get, DON"T get any newts from pet shops. They are all wild-caught and have been imported under horrid conditions. Most are sick or dying at the time they get sold, and few pet shop vendors have any clue how to keep them correctly. You'll find the best info on how to keep and breed newts right here on this board :)

Keep in mind that most newt species are happiest below 70 F . If your school building is (like most) on the warm side, I'd definitely recommend a warm-tolerant species like the blue-tailed fire bellies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1