Question: Tank sizing

Olivia97

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Olivia
Hi, I've had my axxie mr bigglesworth for about 3 months now, he's between 22-24 months old but he's looking fairly small compared to others, he's currently in a 32 Litre tank but it's fairly high not wide, he is on a diet of small bait fish Is the tank too small for him? Also if someone could tell me the sex that would be great I will try to work out pictures in a moment

sorry about the quality of the tank photo, i had to take it with webcam. PLease let me know asap

Attachments

• 1844.jpg
    1844.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 321
  • webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 282
If it looks as though it would have the floor space of a ten gallon then it is not too small. Some axolotl's are kept in fish bowls (small ones) in laboratory conditions.

On a side note, it is best not to feed axolotls on a diet consisting solely of fish. Invertebrates are a caudates favorite food, after all. But variety is always good, too.

Edit: I do not recommend or condone keeping axolotls in small fish bowls.

Last edited:
he/she's very small is that the reason because of its diet? also can you tell whether boy or girl? thanks

Well some fish, such as goldfish, are known to contain thiamine (I believe it's thiamine). It does stunt the growth of axolotls.

I would say its a boy but I'd need a better picture of the cloacal area.

he/she's very small is that the reason because of its diet? also can you tell whether boy or girl? thanks

The first photo makes me think it's a boy with a bulge between his legs but the angle is a bit hard to tell for sure. It's probably a bit hard but could you get a photo from above using the webcam? I'd say yes, he may be small as a result of his diet. Earthworms and pellets are considered the staple food while feeder fish and other fatty foods are to fed as 'treats'. Once you begin feeding earthworms then you should notice him fill out ;)

he's on these tiny little fish theyre like stripey blue ones.. i have a better picture i think. Okay so pellets? and worms? also im wondering what colour type is he? i orignially thought albino but i think they have black eyes? sorry for all the questions but does anyone know what those things on his side are?

Hope the pictures are attached

Attachments

• IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 208
It looks like a boy to me. Also, it's albino. Leucistics have black eyes. You should go onto axolotl.org and check the genetics page to learn more about color morphs.

This axolotl looks almost like it wants to undergo metamorphosis. If its tail fin and gills keep shrinking, you might want to get ready to have a terrestrial salamander. This is just a guess, so an expert opinion would be great. :confused:

I don't know what the things on it's side are, but asking in the "sick axolotl?" section of the forum would benefit you.

Oh gosh metamorphism! :O wow, he keeps coming up for air like every few minutes. any idea who to consult?

Well, under the "axolotl general discussion" page, there's a thread called metamorphosed axy... You could try there.

I just posted on your other thread- Yes, he definitely looks like a boy, however he is REALLY skinny, I'd be guessing as a combination of diet and probable impaction- I'm surprised no-one's mentioned those rocks/gravel yet- it's NOT a safe substrate, and chances are he's swallowed at least one which would account for the low body mass...
More questions:
Have you been quarantining the feeder fish? Although they're okay as a treat, feeders are notorious for carrying pathogens that can kill an axolotl, and additionally are really pathetic in key nutrients- Once he's out of the fridge, I'd be adding in some earthworms (Should be the thing you feed him most), bloodworms, blackworms (Both of which you can feed by squirting a turkey baster in front of his nose full of them), and pellets to his diet to get his weight back up.

As to the tank size, do you have the space to go bigger? if so, do so- the more room the better- whist he's probably okay in there, he'd most likely greatly appreciate a bit more space and definitely a few cups/pots/plants to hide in and around.

As I said in the other thread, not your fault you didn't know this stuff- the pathetic state of our pet shops and the ignorance and stupidity of their staff is to blame. We're here to help you and Mr. B through their stuff-up, so keep your head up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back