Question: Feeding Littl (the Lotl)

Beowulf

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I've had my wild-type baby Littl (gender still undetermined) for close to 9 months now, and have realized I have probably had some issues in raising him. For one thing, I know he is far too small for his age, but that is largely due to his housing situation--one of those one-gallon plastic "pet containers."

Before I go on, I'd like to explain all of this by saying I am a college student with no job and very limited space. Yes, I know, then why am I keeping an axolotl? Well, I had the opportunity to get one for free from someone who accidentally bred some, and I couldn't pass that up. I've been doing my best with what I can, but understand I have VERY LIMITED money and resources. I'm new here, but I've seen this forum to be very friendly, which is why I've come to you guys for advice. However, I don't need to hear about how "my tank is too small" or "why aren't you doing ____?"--it's probably just because I simply can't right now. Ideally, Littl would have a 10 gallon tank and fresh worms and nice axolotl pellet food to eat every day, but I can't pull that off in a dorm room. It's kind of a soft spot for me, which is why I brought it up.

Anyways, Littl has been living off defrosted bloodworms since I got him. I've used a plastic Pasteur pipette so almost 'hand-feed' him, since that's how the previous owner raised the babies. I considering switching his food, especially after I saw him spitting up worms one night (he seemed fine the next day, and the worms had been...re-eaten, I presume). So I bought a small thing of Reptomin pellets and have given him a few. He seems to eat them okay, although he wriggled around a lot more as he was swallowing.

All in all, I just want to make sure this was an okay call to make. I talked to one of the professors on campus who actually has a whole lab full of lotls (most of them live quite happily in plastic shoeboxes, which is why I haven't been overly concerned with Littl's temporary living situation). She recommended the Reptomin sticks, as well as more complicated things like beef liver and brine shrimp. I'd love to get a hold of some actual axolotl pellet food, if you guys think there is any reason to do so over the Reptomin. And to anyone who does feed with Reptomin, how much is good for a just-over-3-inches lotl?

Sorry this is such a long and probably confusing post, but I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks! >}(^--^){<

nine months old and....three inches? wow. rehome this poor creature to someone who can at least provide the bare MINIMUM care requirements. What you're putting this animal through borders on cruelty.

See, this is what I didn't want to happen. EXACTLY what I didn't need. I admitted I've made some mistakes in raising him. I've become more aware of it as time has gone on. And I feel HORRIBLE about it. I also failed to mention I had some personal problems come up over the last year where I had to leave Littl in someone else's care, so there's that, too. Thank you for rubbing a bit of salt in the wound.

The best thing you could do would be to provide some HELPFUL ADVICE as to how someone in my situation could turn this around rather than blindly accuse me of cruelty.

you can get a ten gallon aquarium from wal mart for around ten dollars, often cheaper or free off of Craigslist. the fact that you have been unable or unwilling to save one or two dollars a month in the nine months you've had the animal in order to provide an adequate aquarium goes beyond making a mistake, so my advice of rehoming was the best possible advice I could think of.

the plastic 'shoeboxes ' are actually cheaper than an aquarium, and while not as aesthetically pleasing, work just as well.

the fact that you opened your post listing the things you know you're doing wrong, then asking people to not respond to it is unfair.

what you're doing to your axolotl IS cruel, and if you're truly unable to provide what it needs then rehoming honestly is the best solution.

if this were a dog/cat/cuddly mammal being kept locked in a crate so small that the animals growth had been obviously stunted, the animal would be removed from your care by city/county officials. this would not happen to make you 'feel bad' or to 'rub salt on the wound', but for the welfare and health of the animal in question.

we all make mistakes, but if we are unable or unwilling to not only acknowledge them, but make changes to rectify the problem and grow from them, little is accomplished.

it just sounds like you lack the space and financial means to provide the care the animal truly NEEDS, so why not do the responsible thing and rehome it to someone who can provide the care? you can always get another 'lotl later in life when things are more stable and you can give it everything it needs.

it's going to hurt you (and your pride, no doubt) but it's the right thing to do if you can do nothing else.

I'm sorry if my replies have hurt your feelings or upset you, and I certainly don't want to tarnish your opinion of the forums being a friendly place, but sparing your feelings because you 'don't need to hear ' what you already know you're doing wrong is something I just can't do.

you can get a ten gallon aquarium from wal mart for around ten dollars, often cheaper or free off of Craigslist. the fact that you have been unable or unwilling to save one or two dollars a month in the nine months you've had the animal in order to provide an adequate aquarium goes beyond making a mistake, so my advice of rehoming was the best possible advice I could think of.

the plastic 'shoeboxes ' are actually cheaper than an aquarium, and while not as aesthetically pleasing, work just as well.

the fact that you opened your post listing the things you know you're doing wrong, then asking people to not respond to it is unfair.

what you're doing to your axolotl IS cruel, and if you're truly unable to provide what it needs then rehoming honestly is the best solution.

if this were a dog/cat/cuddly mammal being kept locked in a crate so small that the animals growth had been obviously stunted, the animal would be removed from your care by city/county officials. this would not happen to make you 'feel bad' or to 'rub salt on the wound', but for the welfare and health of the animal in question.

we all make mistakes, but if we are unable or unwilling to not only acknowledge them, but make changes to rectify the problem and grow from them, little is accomplished.

it just sounds like you lack the space and financial means to provide the care the animal truly NEEDS, so why not do the responsible thing and rehome it to someone who can provide the care? you can always get another 'lotl later in life when things are more stable and you can give it everything it needs.

it's going to hurt you (and your pride, no doubt) but it's the right thing to do if you can do nothing else.

I'm sorry if my replies have hurt your feelings or upset you, and I certainly don't want to tarnish your opinion of the forums being a friendly place, but sparing your feelings because you 'don't need to hear ' what you already know you're doing wrong is something I just can't do.

How about providing advice on improved care rather than just sticking the boot into someone asking for help. You have achieved nothing worthwhile 10/10 for that.
Just get a bigger container for the axolotl , doesnt have to be a tank, I use 30l storage tubs for raising baby axolotls, just increase the size of the container till you can afford something suitable if/when it grows. Bloodworm is not the best diet and if your axolotl is still 3" you may need to consider feeding it more and a more varied diet, forget the beef heart etc, try to get earthworms. If you havent got the cash to buy food you need to consider sourcing it for free, wild collecting or raising your own. If you cant do this you should consider rehoming as Mr Helpfull suggested.

The truth of the matter is 1.) axolotls don't grow to the size of their tank. Whether your keeping them in a 50 gallon tank or a 50 ounce tank, they'll grow to their size. And 2.) the foremost leaders on axolotl research, the Kentucky Axolotl Colony, keep all of their adults in fish bowls.

Axolotls can successfully be kept in small tanks with diligent water changes.

I suspect your axolotl is small due to a lack of proper diet. Bloodworms and Reptomin aren't the best food for axolotls. Reptomin is made for omnivores, and bloodworms are pretty deficient in calcium.

Carnivore pellets (Hikari and Rangen make good ones) are much more nutritionally complete, and you can never go wrong with earthworms (pick some up at Walmart for $4).

I agree get a plastic tub container, they're 18 gallons and only 4-5$ and just do water changes on it. You can get about 30 worms for a bout 4 bucks (around here anyway). Give it good food and good water and if it's still small well than it's meant to be small.

I would suggest if you are a student there may be student notice boards or forums you could put a wanted for free advert for a larger tank or larger container. I did that and was surprised how many people have a tank in their storeroom that they think is too good to throw away but are happy to pass onto someone who can use it. Worm are great and if you can dig your own are a great low cost option. You have identified the need to change things for your Axie and I wish you every success in making his/her life better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back