Sick Tiger Salamander

SamuelNeumann

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Samuel Neumann
Hello, just today I noticed that my tiger salamander had a bump on the base of his tail. I don't know if maybe it is just a bite from a mealworm or darkling beetle or something more serious (like mycobacterium). It has a little red dot in the middle (which makes me think it is just a bite), does anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

• IMG_20120915_120437.jpg
    IMG_20120915_120437.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 11,883
  • IMG_20120915_120459.jpg
    IMG_20120915_120459.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3,892
  • IMG_20120915_121520.jpg
    IMG_20120915_121520.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,258
Is the whole tank that wet? Tiger salamanders are terrestrial outside of the breeding season, and having too wet a tank can cause skin issues.

He is usually in a different terrarium which is pretty wet. I am working on that terrarium at the moment.

I use to have problemes with to wet terrariums untill I started to keep most of the top open. Now i can spray every second day and still keep the substrate enough moist. It's mostly leaves and moss that can dry up to much in a day or two. My juveniles also have a large tub with 3cm water as they use once a day as most, but usually they dig or hide under their cork caves.

So it's been a while now, and to me it looks like it has grown. I moved him to a terrarium with coconut husk which is pretty dry. I also had him in with some dirt before that. It looks like it is getting larger. Any ideas? I've attached an image. tell me if you would like more.

Attachments

• 2013-01-11 17.25.17.jpg
    2013-01-11 17.25.17.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 702
My salamander, who looks very similar in coloring to yours, has this as well. I haven't found out what caused it. His grew a little and stopped and is actually there still but barely visible (color changed). His was white though that picture you posted looks identical to it. He's been having it for a few months now and is still healthy, active, and happy. Also if it helps, mine only eats crickets so I don't think it's a bite and its also practically in the exact same spot.

I have not seen this with tigers in my personal experience. In that the bump/lesion appears to be getting worse instead of better,,,I would advise seeking help from a vet that has knowledge re caudates if that is at all possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back