Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Wondering about what to feed young Axolotls

kroezen

Reaction score
:confused:I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this...

I might be buying a couple 3 month old Axolotls and i'm curious as to what i should feed them. The sellers information says they are about 3 inches long and are eating bloodworms.

Is bloodworm good or is there any other sort of food I should/could give them? I just want to make sure my first Axies are healthy.

I live in Nova Scotia Canada so I'm not sure what feeding suplies are available around here so I need a few options in case I can't find bloodworms. We have a pets unlimited near where I live and they sell a variety of aquarium fish, would they stock bloodworms that would be good for baby Axolotls?

As for when they get older I was told that feeding them soft sinking pellets is a good option and I'm wondering about a good supplyer either around Nova Scotia or one that can ship them.

If it's possible I don't want you to redirect me to a page about feeding because i've read a few of them and know about different kinds of food for them. What I'd really like is someone's personal opinion on what to feed them or what they feed their own Axies.

Thank you!

EDIT:
At pet Valu near where I live they sell -Wardley® Shrimp Pellets Formula- Is this okay to feed to Axolotls?

Last edited:

Martin21114

Reaction score
Earthworms are the best, you can chop em up for the little guys. It's gross but e-worms are the best food for your axie.

kroezen

Reaction score
Thank you! i've been searching all over the internet for bloodworm supliers but I can't find any, earthworms will be much easier.

ilsa

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how long I need to feed my babies with Brine shrimp? This is the first time I've had axie babies and have want to make sure they are getting enough food. Some appear to be forming legs....:cool:

jeneral

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how long I need to feed my babies with Brine shrimp? This is the first time I've had axie babies and have want to make sure they are getting enough food. Some appear to be forming legs....:cool:

I read somewhere that at about 2.5cm they can be weaned off the brine shrimp. I think mine were between this size and growing back legs when I started feeding them bloodworms. Once they were big enough to eat them I started putting bloodworms in with their brine shrimp and letting them decide what they wanted. It didn't take long and they were eating blood worms instead of brine shrimp so I stopped the brine shrimp and they are now only on blood worms.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned earlier but frozen brine shrimp are great for young axies and soft salmon/trout pellets (you may need to cut them into smaller pieces :)

Vesp

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned earlier but frozen brine shrimp are great for young axies and soft salmon/trout pellets (you may need to cut them into smaller pieces :)

At what age or size are you able to feed the babies cut up soft salmon/trout pellets?
You make it seem like very small very young axies are willing to eat pellets if they are small enough? :D

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
When mine were younger I fed them on frozen bloodworm and live brine shrimp - I found they ignored frozen brine shrimp so I'd avoid it if I were you, it fouls the water so quickly if not eaten! Chopped earthworm are a great stable and of course once they get that little bit bigger they can eat them whole. My youngest (6 inches approx.) are currently on a varied diet of bloodworm, earthworm and pellets :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1