Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated axies

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Hi ive four axolotl hatchlings 3 leucistic and 1 wildtype, the wildtype and 1 leucistic swims at the top of the tank due to their bloated stomach does anyone have any idea how to cure this? Ive tried the fridgin techinique for 24 hours, sadly it didnt work. Ive separated the sick ones and the healthy ones to another tank, their diet consists of frozen bloodworms and live daphnias. The temps usually below 17*c, and the amonia levels are low, i also do a 20% water change every other day using aquasafe. Please help

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How old are they exactly (how long since hatching?) If they are really just hatchlings, it could be gas in their bellies, rather than bloat. Can you tell if they have fluid or air inside? If it's air, keep them well fed and it may resolve on its own.

The ammonia level should be zero. Keep every bit of uneaten food removed, and maybe do larger water changes until you achieve that.

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Theyre only 5 weeks old, yes theres airbubble in their bellies. I feed them bloodworms 3x a day and live daphnias for treats.. Yes okay ill increase the water changes :) thanks for the reply :)

mikeg

Reaction score
Try to check the tummy toward the back you will see its more clear. This means air pockets you have to feed them more, I suggest live brine shrimp. not baby but adult. They may have grown out of the food you are feeding them, if you already are feeding brine shrimp feed more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they have difficulty eating because they are floating, try keeping them in very shallow water for a couple of days. You need to get plenty of food into them.

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
The leucistic one is eating well but the wildtype spits out out. I feed them for about 30 mins until they cant consume anymore i do this 4 times a day now.

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Hi, my wildtype is not floating anymore and is eating well but sadly the leucistic one had to be culled, hes air bubbles was so bad he was floating upside down, he was moving really slow and he would just spit out the food I give to him. He looks like he was suffering badly :'(

mikeg

Reaction score
what are you trying to feed them? if he is rejecting blood worm i would go get adult brine shrimp ASAP and cool down ur tank as much as possible also place in a dark plcae( cold as in fridge cold just place a dark peice of paper on top) if he rejects the adult brine shrimp then there is not mich i could help( adult brine shrimp if he is 2-4 inches/ and live blood worms if he is 5inches plus)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At 5 weeks old, they're probably not capable of handling adult brine shrimp.

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Ive tried feeding them live adult brineshrimp but The leucistic one that had to be uthanized was the shortest one ~1.7 inches therefore he's not really capable of eating adult brineshrimp - the shrimp was too big for his mouth. I've also tried baby brine shrimp but this was too small for him, white worms doesnt really have that much nutrients on them and it's so oily that it fouls the water quickly. In the end I ended up feeding him young daphnias and chopped bloodworms. But his appetite was gradually deteriorating making the bubble in his stomach grow bigger, which prevents him from doing stuff such as eating, swimming etc.

miguelmannao29

Reaction score
Also I live in Scotland so the temp is not warm but really cold which makes the water colder, I also open the windows in the morning to get some fresh air. Right now. My room temp is 17*c or 62*farenheit

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good temperature for axies.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. They don't all make it to old age, unfortunately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1