Question: Something's wrong with my Larvae

ken1981

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Something's wrong with my Larvae? Please Help

Hi there, I'm new on raising axolotl. I have around 150 larvae 3 weeks old form my black and gold Axies and this is their first batched and they are around 1-2cm, I put them in 1 foot tank ( I got 4) and I feed them BBS twice a day that already rinsed. This is what happen, in the morning I change my water 100% from last night feeding with de chlorinated tap water when I go back from work the larvae swim in circle like crazy or whenever I touch them.

Please help me I don't want them to die, I know that they are still eating the BBS as I can see the orange belly. Is it because I change the water? Thank you so much for ur help.

Last edited:
Re: Something's wrong with my Larvae? Please Help

They swim when you poke them? Swimming away from you is a normal reaction. You should be touching them as little as possible though.

Re: Something's wrong with my Larvae? Please Help

Hi

Thank you for your reply, they usually just swim straight when i poke them and I don't usually poke them it's just I saw a couple of them swim strangely it's like they try to bite their tail so basically they swim in circle to the left or right.

I really need help, because I just found 8 of weakest/smallest larvae dead this morning and I don't want them to die or suffer because of my lack of knowledge, most of the time my larvae die because of being bitten by their siblings and only 1 or 2 at most everyday, so I don't what I did wrong because all the larvae swim strangely. If you ever experience this pls let me know what can I do? Thank you.

I've never experienced the larvae swimming strangely like that but after a 100% water change as they get older is rough on them. Next water change try leaving a little of the old water in the container so they can adjust easier. That might help, I'm not completelly sure though. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back