Baby axolotls aren't developing right

cristelle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi
My golden albino (female) spawned about a week or two ago and alot of her babies are hatching but have curved backs :( or have like a ball shaped stomache :(
its sad to watch cause they cant swim or eat properly so ive had to flush most of them.

Its her first ever spawn so i just put it down to that, has anyone had this problem??

is soo does it run to her next spawn or does it clear up??

Re: Baby axolotls arnt developing right

Hi, sorry for your loss, unfortunately raising eggs can be very hit and miss, and some can just die for no apparent reason. How old are the parent axolotls, and how have you been keeping them, water conditions and temperatures are very important, i had one egg previously and although it had a deformity i hoped to raise it, but within a day or 2 i realised that euthanising the poor thing was the best option. May be the eggs were never fertilised enough, and have heard a few problems with first clutches(spawns) of eggs. Hope you have a few survivors.

how often are they spawning? are you removing the female afterward?

How old is she? When they're too young their young can be weak or undeveloped, in my experience.
Also, flushing isn't an optimal way of disposing of dead hatchlings. I personally just put them in the garden for the plants.
Sorry for your loss, nobody ever gets it right the first time ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back