Filter nitrate removers?

As far as I am aware when I was researching the same thing after discovering the nitrate issues in my water it is a product similar to activated carbon in a filter. It does not actually release any form of chemicals into the water. And thus theoretically should be safe for amphibians.

When I was researching it I saw mixed reviews about its usefulness. Apparently it can be re-used several times so its worth its money. Also one review I read, if I remember right, said that the website states you must remove it once the nitrates have been eliminated, and not leave it in the tank. So basically whenever you need nitrates removing, pop it in for 24 hours then remove it and recharge for next time. theoretically you could use one bag for all of your tanks at home in succession. Recharging is supposed to be easy too, apparently just salted water.

I say give it a go. I may do so at some point with my fish aquarium.

It is an exchange resin. While it doesn't release anything harmful, it does release a small amount of salt into the water. This is safe, just something to be aware of.

My concern with using chemical means to remove nitrate is that there may be other chemicals building up in the aquarium, things we don't test for. Water changes will bring down all of them, and this may have some other benefits. Water changes are the low-tech way of controlling nitrate levels.

I got nitrate removers in my filter, check my thread axolotl habitat, from what I learned with MFK and my too many other fish tanks there is only one form of nitrate removal that really works and it involves plant or algae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back