Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crazy thought

Traxolotl

Reaction score
You know how there chimera salamanders and stuff? Well what if a axolotl had a baby with a tiger salamander and it was a chimera and only one half of it morphed? what would happen to the sal?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the hormones are being produced to induce morphing, the whole animal would morph. The reason axolotls don't undergo metamorphosis is because they don't produce sufficient quantities of the necessary hormones.

I can't imagine an animal like that would be very hardy.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, both halfs would be controlled by the same hormonal system.

Frogman, a chimera is an inidividual that is formed by the fussion of two zygotes, which means it´s made of two separate and distinctive celular lines. In axolotls it can follow a striking sagital symmetry, where one half is, let´s say leucistic, and the other half, wild type. In humans it´s far more convoluted.

Molch

Reaction score
the only way I can imagine, in theory, a chimera only half-morphed is if one of the two genomes has a genetic receptor defect that would prevent cells from binding the hormone for metamorphosis.

In theory, anyways. Just a nerdy idea...

Molch

Reaction score
for kicks and giggles, here a couple links to Dunbar's Gold, an extremely rare chimera quarter horse stallion. He has a brindle coat as a result of chimerism, which is a very rare color in horses. Crazily, one of his genomes is female - obviously not the one forming his 'nads, because he's a successful breeding stallion ;)

One In A Million: Part 1 – America’s Horse Daily]

http://www.itsmypony.com/news-archive/189-dunbars-gold

without genetic testing, they would never have known. Which means, any one of us could be a chimera! In fact, some have hypothesized that chimerism isn't as rare as generally believed, because in many cases it would require genetic testing to be uncovered.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1