Question: Read about filters, but still have some questions

William M

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have gone through and read the stickied topic regarding filters, but I am still unsure what would be best for a juvenile (4-6 in) axolotl in a 10 gallon tank. I currently have a zoomed MC-10 filter, which worked fine for a CFB that I had until about two years ago, but I have read around various topics on the forum and overall it seems that most people prefer sponge filters for axies. Mind you I do not have my axolotl yet, I'm still setting up my tank/ need to let it cycle.

Why is this (aside from low output)? Would I be better off to switch to a sponge filter? And finally which brands/ models would you recommend if so?

Edit: I also have a homemade spray bar attached to the MC-10

Last edited:
I would use a sponge filter. I use these: Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter, 4-1/2-Inch: Pet Supplies because they are cheap and effective. Also I have an amazon.com shopping addiction. (seriously, someone take amazon away from me before I lose my house, LOL)

The only reason sponge filters are preferred is because they disturb the water the least. Axolotls get stressed in moving water, so you want to minimize current as much as possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

Haha, I know what you mean about the Amazon addiction, this will be the 4 or 5th thing I've ordered from them in the past week and a half!

I second the sponge filter!!!

I used a HOB filter for a year. Then I switched to using a sponge filter 2 months ago and it's like night and day for my axies. I was literally just about to make a post praising them because in these 2 months, my axolotls have had ridiculous gill growth! It's hard to believe, but they wen't from fairly average size to so long and fluffy that they're getting floppy!

Asides from the physical differences noted in their gills, they also explore all their tank now (when they used to avoid certain parts due to flow), and even appear to enjoy floating in the bubbles.

Also, the filters are dirt cheap, incredibly quiet, and use less energy than other brands. They take up a little more space in the tank, but aren't too difficult to hide if you care about aesthetics.

Do you have amazon prime? 2 day free shipping OP!

Do you have amazon prime? 2 day free shipping OP!
That's exactly why I have an online shopping problem. I have amazon prime, and how can you beat free 2 day shipping?!

I had the prime one year deal for college students, but sadly it ran out in early September :mad:.

Haha, I've had that free prime deal for 3 years!

I don't know about your university, but I have my uni email, which is my username@university.edu, and we can create alternate emails that all link to the uni email. like I could make hacelepues@university.edu, and prime recognizes it as a separate email.

Whenever my prime free sub runs out, I just make a new email, and create a new prime account using that email. You should see if you can do something similar!

Nope, I actually just checked after I read your post to see if it was allowed or not. Thanks for the help though :happy:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back