Persistant wound

Lysinlight87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 axolotls housed together. My golden albino keeps getting wounds on his back, where the tail merges with his body, so it's on the flappy bit, as opposed to on the flesh of his back (I'll get pics tomorrow). There's no sign of infection, ie. looks clean, no discolouration, no symptoms of illness. Today, he's actually lost a chunk out of it. I can't understand how he's getting hurt. I don't think they're fighting, they have sand substrate. As cage decoration they have treated driftwood (from pet shop) & reptile caves to hide in. I don't think he's catching himself on anything. I'm just worried that if he's lost this skin/tail part, he may start getting injuries on his body. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

It may be worth checking around the tank for sharpish edges. My lot used to get missing bits off their tail..I found eventually that inside one of their caves had a sharp edge. I just used sandpaper and smoothed it down.
Could you maybe add a picture of the wound?

ah, thanks. I hadn't thought of checking inside the caves. I'll do that in the morning & get a pic at the same time :) I know these guys are good at re-growing things- will he regrow this chunk or will he have a scar?

As previously said, Sharp edges inside the caves are your best bet - I've cut myself on them before so hate to think what they'd do to an axolotl!

As for regrowth the tissue should grow back as normal and won't be noticable. Just always remember to check for those horrible sharp bits! :eek:

Thanks :). I took out his caves and the entrances are sharp, I'm pretty sure that's how he's getting hurt. I'm going to file the edges down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back