Question: New Axolotl with swollen butt area

RedJesta

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi there,
today I got a new axolotl and after an 1 hour his butt started to change. It's already mature with it's black finger tips so I was most certain that it was a girl, until it's butt started to change.
First it started to expand a bit, then it got bigger and a small split has appeared down the middle of it. I haven't been able to take a picture yet, but I'll try to add one soon.

I've searched through the forum on swollen/exploded cloaca/prolapse threads and it kinda looks just like that, but a smaller version.

I've seen my axolotls poop so I know it's not only that. The axolotl doesn't seem stressed or in pain so I'm not sure what to do.

I hope someone can help me or has ideas what it could be or if that's a common thing with male axolotls. In store it wasn't in a tank with gravel... so any ideas?

It sounds like it may be a male. The cloaca of one of my males that was first introduced to the rest of the gang (after his quarantine) swelled dramatically in a short period of time. There was a female present in the tank at the time, and I think he (the newcomer) was just very excited at making her acquaintance.

Even if there are no females actually present in the tank, the males tend to be ever hopeful that one just may show up one day. ;)

Has the swelling gone down any?

Are there any females in the tank?

If you could post some photos, that would be great.

Last edited:
i know my axolotls but usually swell up a couple weeks before my females lay eggs so my guess is he is putting sperm packets in the tank

Yeh, thankyou so much guys.!!
After a night of wondering i have woken up to him looking normal again and there does appear to be what you called 'sperm packets" all over the tank floor..
Thankyou for your help. Sorry if it seems like a stupid thing to ask but i haven't experienced anything like that before so now i know.
He really was just showing off for the ladies in the tank i guess. ^__^

ahaha we are always happy to answer :)

and if you have a female in the tank u are in for a whole new experience if u decide to keep some eggs

Question:

My 10 yr old axolotl has a swollen butt. It looks like gas, not feces. He ate a small goldfish 2 days ago and that is all he has eaten.

(He will only eat "live" bloodworms and our lfs is out of bloodworms for the next 3 months here in Ca. My axolotl won't eat wigglers, frozen, freeze-dried or anything else except for minnows.)

What can I do about his butt being swollen with clear gas/fluid?

Thank you...

Start a new thread in the sick axolotl area so more people can see it, and post the water parameters and some pictures if you can. Search around for a local vet who can help, in case it is a prolapse.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back