Swollen or constipated?

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
Is his cloaca swollen or is he constipated? I will post better pics soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 609
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 492
How long has the cloaca been like that? Does outlook inflamed? Does it look like anything is coming out? What do you feed? How often? Have you noticed poop lately?

It has been like that for about 2 days. He seems normal. He pooped yesterday. They both eat worms. 2-3 times a week. Water temp is 66-68 degrees always.

I think that maybe if he seems normal and pooped yesturday and ate some food, then It's not a sign of constipation. I heard that sometimes their cloaca can be swollen like that when it's mating season or something, I'm not much of a mating expert, but Just a suggeston.

Now there's this. I have seen no "activity" in the last few days, but now it looks like there are little un fertilized eggs in the tank. Still activity seems normal. Cloaca swelling has gone down btw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 370
She seems normal too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 301
Urgent, as I am typing my female is walking around the aquarium with "unfertilized" eggs coming out of her cloaca. What is she doing?

Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 320
She is laying eggs and they may be fertile :D

When egg laying the cloaca will swell and you may notice that the tail and skin may look pinker too.

I only notice a few eggs. Will she lay more?

9 eggs counted. She seems to be acting normal again. She still looks a little egnant. I am starting to think the eggs are fertile. They have the jelly coating. So the question is, will she lay more?

No more eggs so far, How long until she starts laying again? The jelly coating on the eggs seems to be getting bigger. This is my first time dealing with eggs I would like to know for future references.

Ok....here is a little tip on how to make the most of the forum :D You have now been here long enough and need to start making the 'search' function your new best friend.:hat:

Under the Caudata. org banner there is a black line..look along and you will see a a pull down menu, click on that and you will see a list..One is Caudata Culture, click on that and a new page opens with a lovely little white box towards the right, with search/ find written . Type in eggs and it will reveal a list of articalstitles. The first one is fantastic:D
The same pull down menu on here has also a link to axolotl's and another to the Axolotl Sanctuary. Have a look there...nearly every thing there is explained:cool:
Now if you look further up to the top of the Caudata Org page you will see a green bar..towards the right, there is yet another search button..click on it and a box opens..enter the key words..i.e eggs and a list of many, many many previous posts will be revealed for you to read.

Ok. Sorry if i bothered you. I was just excited. She only laid the 10 eggs. No more so far.

Not sure. The male is just about 10 inches. The female is around 9 inches or a little smaller(8.5) why?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back