75 degrees bit to hot for 2 or 3 lined salamanders?

Lia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
I am interested in either 2 lined or 3 lined salamanders which a dealer in area carries.
My concern are temps as Mon to Fri when not home the temps in the particular room I plan to keep them in are 75 degrees and 72 during the night .

Suspect bit to warm ?

Thank you

Lia

I'd say it's a bit too warm.

Are you talking about keeping them at 70F+ all year round, or just for the summer months? Ideally Eurycea, like most caudates, do best with seasonal temperature variations, especially a good winter cooling. Short term warm temps are unlikely to harm them but long term captivity at 75F is likely to lead to a short life.

I'd say it's a bit too warm.

Are you talking about keeping them at 70F+ all year round, or just for the summer months? Ideally Eurycea, like most caudates, do best with seasonal temperature variations, especially a good winter cooling. Short term warm temps are unlikely to harm them but long term captivity at 75F is likely to lead to a short life.

Thank you that is what I suspected, 75 would be during the day all year round and 72 at night when I am home.

It is hot if not warm here for the most part all yr long so 75 is temp I raise my ac to when not home.

I won't get them and glad I looked into it.

Two yrs ago the dealer who is a wholesale guy had a few types of Bolitoglossa types which I later read prefer it little warmer like mid 70s but did not get any as they did look delicate .

Thanks again

I think this needs to be broken down into more species specific responses.

If you're wanting to keep the Northern two-lined salamander (Eurycea bislineata) then I could see keeping them at 75'f year round as detrimental. In their habitat, they usually only experience those kind of temps during the hottest parts of the summer and even then it's in short spurts.

Now, if you want to talk about the Southern two-lined salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)then I think it really depends on the animals harvest location. I find that E. cirrigera found here in Virgina are less heat tolerant than ones found in, say, South Carolina.

Eurycea guttolineata is one species that I'll readily recommend for this type of tank. From my observations in the field, this species seems to prefer a temp range of 70-75'f. I went out herping one day this past August for them when the ambient air temp was 102'f. It was 77-82'f under some of the objects I was finding them under. That was one of the best days I ever had looking for them. I also visit these same areas during the fall and winter months when the temps under the objects are in the low to mid 60's and I rarely find E. guttolineata. Mine were kept upstairs in my house where the temps stayed either in the low 70's to upper 70's, depending on the season, for a couple of years. How did they fare? I found larvae in the tank this past spring.

Just my two cents.

Definetely too high. I recommend you keep them between 60 to 70 degrees fahrenheit. Heat is taxing on salamanders.

I think this needs to be broken down into more species specific responses.

If you're wanting to keep the Northern two-lined salamander (Eurycea bislineata) then I could see keeping them at 75'f year round as detrimental. In their habitat, they usually only experience those kind of temps during the hottest parts of the summer and even then it's in short spurts.

Now, if you want to talk about the Southern two-lined salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)then I think it really depends on the animals harvest location. I find that E. cirrigera found here in Virgina are less heat tolerant than ones found in, say, South Carolina.

Eurycea guttolineata is one species that I'll readily recommend for this type of tank. From my observations in the field, this species seems to prefer a temp range of 70-75'f. I went out herping one day this past August for them when the ambient air temp was 102'f. It was 77-82'f under some of the objects I was finding them under. That was one of the best days I ever had looking for them. I also visit these same areas during the fall and winter months when the temps under the objects are in the low to mid 60's and I rarely find E. guttolineata. Mine were kept upstairs in my house where the temps stayed either in the low 70's to upper 70's, depending on the season, for a couple of years. How did they fare? I found larvae in the tank this past spring.

Just my two cents.

This was certainly alot of help . My day temps are 75 but drop to 71 at night . This is all year long because no winter here and other than rare cool spell of 60s or once in a lifetime colder the average is that all yr long in my house.

What type of set up did you house your Three-lined salamanders in?

I know some salamanders such as slimy are found north in this state but assumed they went deep underground as would have never thought anyone would find them while collecting in such warm temps which you found the Three-lined salamanders in.

Thanks

Definetely too high. I recommend you keep them between 60 to 70 degrees fahrenheit. Heat is taxing on salamanders.

Thanks going to research the three lined a bit more but pretty much ruled out other salamanders due to the temps.

My friend lives in PA and her dad has several types in his basement all year long in terrariums , some are 10 yrs old now (think Fires) but no basements here lol and no salamanders . Did see several ocellated skinks couple weeks ago by shrub and grass outskirts of beach and that is as "salamander like" as we get here lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back