Babies (still in eggs) with curved tails

Stacey87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
axie-addict
Hiya just wondering if anyone can give me a little info, as this is the first time Ive had eggs from my axies, i have about 80 eggs in a container, and they seem to be growing as normal, they are moving around a lot and all seem alive and well, however most of them seem to have curved tails!!

is this normal due to them been in a small egg or is there something wrong???

would hate for something to happen this late on in their development, i think they are due to hatch in about 2-3 days (that will take it to the 14 days)

There's not a lot of room in the egg. They can't straighten out, so yes, it's normal for their tails to curve around.

What you're looking for with 'curved tail' in regards to stress is more like a hook or cup shape at the end of the tail.

Ah right, good, thanks for that, I read about it and started to worry as I am new to this. But I can relax now and wait for them to hatch :)

Quick question, have you any idea what colour my babies are likely to be? The eggs where all white when hatched so I assumed it was my golden albino that layed the eggs however they have all got black eyes but without any reflective rings, and are all turning dark? I have three axies in the tank and I am unsure which is the dad/mum. I have a black wild type which I think is a male, a golden albino and a white albino both with red/pink eyes the golden has a reflective ring around but the white doesnt. Just wondering what the babies are likely to be and what colour???

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Albinos will lay all white eggs, regardless of what color the larvae will be.

It's really hard to determine the color mutations an animal has until it gets a little bigger. I usually don't even start to guess until they grow their front legs.

ok thanx alot, ill just be patient ha ha.

another question ive been told that the babies when hatched will eat "instant brine shrimp"!! my local aquatic store sells it, it comes in a gel you just add the tank water then you have hundreds of bbs however ,,,,,,,, they are obviously dead!! i thought larvae will only take an interest to live food, wud i be wasting money and time by trying this ???? :confused:

i have started off two sets of bbs culture, decapsulated eggs i got from the pet shop however havent had any success yet, i have now got 6 hatched babies and im now worried i wont have any food in time for them, they only hatched about 30 mins ago, so still got a little time to sort something out!!

thanx very much for your help so far :)

That would be a waste of money. They're just after your wallet.

The best food for larvae are baby brine shrimp, which you'll have to hatch daily, or daphnia, which you should culture yourself too.

i have started off two sets of bbs culture, decapsulated eggs i got from the pet shop however havent had any success yet, i have now got 6 hatched babies and im now worried i wont have any food in time for them, they only hatched about 30 mins ago, so still got a little time to sort something out!!

I found when I was hatching brine shrimp for my babies, the eggs took about 3 days to hatch as it was winter here so their water was cooler. I had 3 bottles going at a time so I had one bottle ready to hatch each day. If I had a lot of unhatched eggs I would add them to the next days bottle in the hopes that an extra day would hatch them.

thank you, i have managed to hatch some bbs, and like you said it took a lot longer than expected but i have hatched bbs :happy:

however

i also got some live hatched daphnia from my local pet store and put that in with the babies, they have been hatched for a few days now but not sure if they are actually eating anything!!! i watch them closely and they are lunging towards the food but the daphnia seem to be a little quick for them!!! but they are swimming around alot so must be healthy none of them are floating and docile so im sure if they hadn't eaten anything by now then i'm guessing they most probably would have died!!

if i'm feeding daphnia how often should i do a water change???? as ive read that the daphnia can live alongside the babies untill theyve been eaten.

I don't use bbs, just daphnia. I kept around 5 larvae per sandwich container and did 50-75%daily water changes.

thanx again, youve been a great help, am i just worrying unnecessarily about them not eating, or is there a chance they could last 4-5 days without eating and could i potentially loose some of them??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back