Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My 1st attempt - from egg to axolotl - Diary

spameye

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm due to pick up 7 to 10 axolotl eggs up today from a friend. I've chose only a small amount to try as this is my 1st attempt! Was basically just gonna keep a diary of it on here, any help would be welcomed, although I have researched this intensely beforehand and I have two "almost" adult axys myself, around a year old which I raised from tadpole, so I kiiiinda know what I'm on about! haha

Anyway, this is my setup (see pic) : I've got 3 glass jars and 2 (only one pictured) of the plastic tubs. I am going to cut up the plastic plant so each jar has a leaf for cover. I have another plastic tub in my windowsill with some moss in from my fishtank with a small amount of daphina in, which should hopefully breed, but failing that, my LFS is great for having live food week round. I'm going to put a single egg in each glass jar and 2 eggs in each plastic tub. I plan on changing 75% of the water daily when they hatch.

Ermm, anything obvious I've missed? wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMAG0765.jpg
    IMAG0765.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 490

spameye

Reaction score
Oh, and I've got them on a shelf that isn't in direct sunlight, but receives good natural light, so they will have a day/night cycle. Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good handle on it!

If you're going to breed daphnia, you should have 2 or 3 setups going at a time. You won't need a ton of them, but daphnia are known to crash at the worst possible time.

Oh! Get a turkey baster if you don't have one. It's the best thing for changing larvae tubs!

spameye

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie! Bless my mate who gave them to me, he's given me a culture of microworms too :)

Yeah i will get another tub set up, The daphnia culture looked ok earlier this week, looked today n there was only about 6 swimming about!!

Will post pics as I get on :)

spameye

Reaction score
Since I'm a forum noob, would this post be better as my blog?

Anyway, I got my eggs last night! there's about 10 or 11 I think, My friend put some duck weed in the container i picked them up in (which I'm going to put in my adult axolotl tank when I've finished with it) I couldn't get a very good photo of the eggs, but I think you can make out a egg on one of them!

What is the best way to separate them into individual tubs? is it better to move them as eggs, or do they hatch "better" when left in a group? is there any pheromones released to induce hatching for example?

Oh, while I'm here I wanted to ask also, is it better to use water from my adult axolotl tank or fresh (dechlorinated, of course) water? My first thought was to use the wter from my adults tank, but then I thought if I'm doing daily water changes anyway, surely fresh water would be better?
Sorry to ramble! Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0769.jpg
    IMAG0769.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 420
  • IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,447
  • IMAG0773.jpg
    IMAG0773.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 343

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I do water changes with water from the adult tank. It's well-established, and I know it's safe water. Plus it's already room-temperature.

Move them when they're eggs. It's a lot easier to damage a larva than it is an egg. Those jelly sacs are tough!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!