Illness/Sickness: Axolotl With Cut or Ulcer?

Sky Diamond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sky
I was looking at my first axolotl, Alec, today and he seems to have some kind of red mark on the side of his mouth. For a few days now he's been a little quiet and hiding behind a reptile log ornament in his tank. But before that he's been eating like crazy. I'm wondering what it could be? He's a gravel eater, so I thought maybe he's cut his mouth on that, but the gravel is like sand pieces.

The water isn't very good due to algae over growth in the tank I'm trying to get that under control and the water is a bit cloudy. I last cleaned the 13 UK gallon tank out 10 days ago.

I tested the water the other day, ammonia is all clear but the nitrite is up a little. I also have another axolotl in with him, Derek, he seems to be fine and they never fight. They're best buds.

The one thing that is worrying me the most about the tank and this mark coming on, is for a while now I've had these thin white worm-like-things in the tank, they seemed to have pretty much taken over the tank since the algae has shown up and then last night, I saw some different things in the water that looked like lice sitting on the glass and then they would swim off. I've had these things in the water before and pulled down the whole tank and reset it up and before I did that, there were worms in the tank, that had grown up from the lice like things. One was about 3cm, and moving along the glass. They aren't anything like the other worms.

Also, since I've had Derek, he's had like a white coating over his side and lips and it seems to have gone whiter in the past few days, especially on his lips. I was told it might have been stress, and that's what I thought it may have been as the pet shop had just moved at the time and he was very thin at the time. Since then I've been able to get some weight on him. You can see the white on his lip in the photo.

I've had Alec since May and Derek since July. I just thought I'd get it all out there so maybe I can find the best help for him. I don't want anything to happen to either of them.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

24l769e.jpg

29lh0u0.jpg

r01ph0.jpg

Sorry you didn't get any responses! Must've slipped under the radar.

Glad to hear your little buddy's doing better. They're masters at healing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back