Cooling down a 10gal with eggs developing

ktcwgrl

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best way to cool down a 10gal with eggs? The temp is about 77F/ 23C and an worried it will creep up.

What is the best way to cool down a 10gal with eggs? The temp is about 77F/ 23C and an worried it will creep up.

Shut off the lights if any.

Remove any cover that isn't mesh or screen. Don't worry, little ones don't jump. You should pay close attention to water levels though as evaporation becomes more of an issue.

Use a sponge filter or external type filter instead of an internal filter.

Fill two two-liter soda bottles about 3/4 full, lay them on their side in the freezer and let the cold do its thing. Then each morning till the weather cools down, float one bottle carefully in the tank. each day.

It wont hurt to wrap the tank with a large towel to help insulate it either, though you must be careful to make sure the towel doesn't fall in the tank and wick all your water out.

Also, spend some time with the forum search function to get even more ideas, tips, and tricks to keep a tank cool.

Moving the tank to a lower location may also help with a degree or two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back