Cynops Orientalis with Shrimp

rebel

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
R3bel
Just a quick question, im wandering if i put shrimp in my Newt tank, im guessing my newts will try and eat the shrimp, or would the shrimp be too fast for them? Also, would shrimp be ok for the newts to eat?

IM thinking of the smaller shrimp like the Red Cherry Shrimp and so on.

Thanks

Yes, the newts will try to eat them. Yes, they are OK for the newts to eat. And yes, they will (usually) be too fast for the newts to catch. Some newts are more talented at eating shrimp, some less so.

If you like shrimp, you could raise them separately from the newt and just add a few to the newt tank occasionally. Cherry shrimp make lovely pets.

I found my newts were scared of the shrimp...one shrimp did disappear; but I'd frequently find them underneath a newt eating bloodworms at feeding time. I moved them out as the newts weren't too impressed with it. But the shrimp did seem too fast to get :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back