Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What colour are my axies?

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking about 120 babies at the moment for the first time . They are three weeks old today (well most of them anyhow). I currently have a tank of albino babies and another that I think are wild types :confused: I was hoping could confirm this with me. Their mother is a copper albino axie and dad is a white albino axie.

I have put a few photos below. The first photo was when the babies were two weeks old and living together. The second photo are the wild type (I think????) larvae. The third photo is an albino larvae close up.

Attachments

• 250912 045.jpg
    250912 045.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 250912 047.jpg
    250912 047.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 250912 048.jpg
    250912 048.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 265

mikeg

Reaction score
look at the eyes tat will tell you what they will turn out to be the wild ones will have dark eyes (turn wild color in a month) albino will have white eyes (color will stay the same)

Neil C

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you haven't got 50% Coppers and 50% albino (could be a mix of white and golden) just like the parents. Both Copper and white albino are recessive so you should theoretically get half of each. It's hard to see the red of the baby Coppers eyes until they are larger.

Regards Neil

Kerry M

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my post.
Neil, do the gills of copper axies start looking pinkish around this time? I am looking carefully at the possilbly copper ones and they are definately pinkish, unless this is just a vein. However I am not seeing the same markings on the albino ones. However, the possibly copper ones are a bit bigger than the albinos on average. Also thanks for letting me know that both my parents have recessive genes. I am pretty new to this so am still learning :D

Cheers,
Kerry

Kerry M

Reaction score
Here are some new pics. The larvae are a lot more yellow than I thought. I am really hoping that they are copper axies now :D

Attachments

• 270912 006.jpg
    270912 006.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 260

Neil C

Reaction score
There is nothing else that they can be, not with those parents and that colour. Even without knowing what parents you have I'd say they are were Coppers.

Regards Neil

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
Quite interesting. Aside from what we call the phenotype, what is the genotype of "copper" Axlotl? Im trying to learn as much as I can about these adorable little critters.

Kerry M

Reaction score
They are really cute and are growing so quickly. Soon I will need to find new homes for them. Have just been waiting until they transition onto black worm. They are hopping around now when they eat. This morning I woke up to more eggs lol... I should have separated the parents. I suppose that is a job for the weekend.

Luxiixul

Reaction score
They are really cute and are growing so quickly. Soon I will need to find new homes for them. Have just been waiting until they transition onto black worm. They are hopping around now when they eat. This morning I woke up to more eggs lol... I should have separated the parents. I suppose that is a job for the weekend.

From the same parents?!:shocked:

Kerry M

Reaction score
The female is a copper axie and the male is a golden albino (although I think he looks like quite a pale golden albino). I was quite surprised that I have what looks like babies that are the same as their parents. However I am pretty new to this :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1