Suitable Hideout?

Kurtlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was browsing the aquarium accessories on this site and nothing really seemed to be suitable for an Axolotl. I am trying to design the most natural looking, ideal environment for them. This small animal hideout seemed like it would work... so is it ok to put small animal hideouts in an axolotl tank?

The edges to the entrance looks a little rough, and adding to that, it's not meant for aquatic animals. The majority of members seem to make their own hides or use mugs, flower pots, and weighed cork park. There have been some nice DIY hides that look very natural.

A hide should be water safe and not leach anything (harmful) into the water, and should also be smooth to prevent cuts and scratches.

I would guess it is ok for a certain amount of time. I would contact petmountain to see if it is suitable for aquarium use. Petmountain is a great website and will help you find all the right answers.

I would be worried about the plastic composite. In an aquatic environment, chemicals can easily leak out.

Go to bunnings and grab a couple of the small terracotta pots (non glazed/painted type) give them a rise and pop them in, they will love them! :D

I've always used reptile caves, purely for their size (nice and roomy!) and have always checked that they can be used in aquariums before purchasing. Before I add them to the tank I always check for sharp edges and sand them down to oblivion if necessary. I then soak them for several hours before adding them to the tank - Never had any problems and the axies love them! But like already said, untreated plant pots are a simple, cheap alternative and work just fine :eek:

Thanks for the great replies :) how can you be sure if your ornament is water safe? my biology teacher gave me this great ornament. Its a ceramic that looks like a tree root.

Is it glazed? If it is all around, it should be perfect. If it's painted then you might have a problem(which can be solved through sealing), and if it's just plain ceramic it should be fine.

Im not sure :/ how can I tell?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back