My axo is sick

Kalius

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I just bought 2 axolotl in pet shop.
One of them is really sick. I hava take some pictures this week end see the evolution :

Day 1 :
100_1647.JPG

Day 2 :
100_1680.JPG

Day 3 :
100_1690.JPG

Day 4 :
100_1710.JPG

Today :
100_1720.JPG

What could it be ?

Really, really thanks for your help, I don't wanna see him like that.. :(

PS1 : Two other questions : my NaCl is 99.8%, is it correct ? The fauve axolotl is losing his gills, not completely just the filament, what can i do ?

PS : Sorry for my english, I'm french and I'm not really good in english :p

Hi there,

Have you tested the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH levels?

- If you have. What were the readings?
- If not. How frequently do you change the axolotls' water?

Does your water supplier use chlorine?

- If they do, are you treating the water with a de-chlorinater to make the water safe for the axolotls?

What is the water temperature of the tub you are keeping the axolotls in?

- Axolotls are cold water critters and their optimum temperature range is 16-20C, temperatures maintained higher than 23C are very dangerous to an axolotl's health.

Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you mean by your NaCl being 99.8%. Do you mean you're adding salt to the axolotl's water? If so, how much? High salt concentrations can damage an axolotl's delicate skin, most particularly the gills.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your answer !

I have done the test and my water is OK for No2, No3 and pH but didn't for Ammonia. (don't have the test)
I change the water everyday, both of them are in a quarantine tub, the temp is ~17°-19°.
I think water use chlorine and I didn't use any product in the water. Should I bought a product for that ?

I'm a member of a french forum about Axolotl, and at the first day they say me to do a salt bath with NaCl, I bought a salt for dishwasher with 99.8% NaCl, thats what they use for fungal.

Can Ammonia or Chlorine do that ?
For Ammonia what should i buy ? Test and ?

Really thanks for your help.

If you are changing the water out every day, I don't think ammonia is the issue. I strongly suspect the chlorine to be the main culprit.

Chlorine is very dangerous to axolotls, and can make them very ill. If you can, I would purchase a bottle of de-chlorinater and get the axolotls into a tub of fresh de-chlorinated water as soon as possible. If you have some spring water, this can be used until you can get some dechlronater. Have a read through this article before using the spring water (if you have any) as some are not suitable:

Caudata Culture Articles - Bottled Water for Amphibians

A de-chlorinater is the best method of removing chlorine from the tap water as it works instantly. Alternatively, you can let the water sit over night to allow the chlorine to evaporate, but this method isn't always 100% reliable.

Have a look through this article as it contains a wealth of information on maintaining proper water parameters for aquatic critters:

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

A salt bath is 1-3 teaspoons of salt per 1 liter of water. The higher concentration (2-3 tsp to one liter water) is used to treat major fungal infections, but the axolotl is only left in the salt bath for a maximum period of 15 minutes. If left in the bath longer than this, the salt will start to damage the axolotl's skin and gills.

If your axolotls have been, or are being left in a salt solution equaling or higher than the one I've detailed above for salt baths, please take them out now!

A test kit for ammonia is highly recommended. The best test kits are the liquid reagent ones (with the test tubes) as they are highly accurate. Test strip tests should be avoided as these are notorious for giving false readings.

Thanks for your answer !

For the salt bath I used 1spoon for 1 litter during 20 minutes, and a permanent bath for one day, 1spoon for 10 litters.
I bought the de-chlorinater, and also "eau osmosée" (Osmosis water ?), can I clean my water with the de-chlorinater and add 30% of osmosis water after ? Or better to just pu the cleaned water is better ?

Hi,

There is 3 new photo from today :

100_1731.JPG

100_1729.JPG

100_1736.JPG

That's getting worst, now he got front legs paralysed, and keep the mouth open.

Poor thing. It's not looking good. Are you able to get him to a vet?

How is the other axolotl?

I asked for every Veto from my city, it's a "no we don't take Axolotl", the only one who could take him is in Nantes, 2h30 in car and I don't have car today..
If tomorrow he is still alive I gonna see the vet.

The other one seem really better, but is not completely OK, he losed the filament on the gills and a litle piece of his nail is missing. And he dont eat. But he is really active.

Have you looked at the herp vet list at the top of the sick axolotl page? That has two in france, dont know if they are any closer to you though. Is the vet you phoned the only herp vet around, could they not offer you a number of any closer to you? How are they both doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back