Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Downsize

Harpii

Reaction score
Sadly yesterday one of our axies passed away and we want to move the other two to a smaller tank as this one is huge and we'd like to have a more managable tank to keep a closer eye on them, what is an ideal sized tank for two axies, they are roughly 9 months and about 9/10 inches (guessing by eye) Thanks.

Harpii

Reaction score
Oh and what filter would be best, we use a bio filter for our large tank, so would it be best to get another one just for a smaller tank?

Minniechild

Reaction score
I'd probably be leaving them- perhaps counter-intuitively, the larger your tank is the easier it is to take care of. Having kept axies in tupperware containers, 20L tanks (Aussie summers), a 4ft tank and outdoor ponds, the easiest time in terms of maintenance has been the ponds and the 4ft. With a larger tank, the chemicals from their poop has more water to be dispersed in, which means fewer water changes for you, less fluctuations for your axie's biology to adapt to and more time for axie watching.
There are also some benefits to the larger tank for the axies- more room for them to get away from each other, which means less stress and less chance of a limb going missing in unfortunate circumstances, and especially having read your previous post, and considering the circumstances, I would NOT try confining them any further (just to be on the safe side).
As to monitoring, there is a line between being safe and being annoying- axies do need to be able to get away from people, light and each other for their own sanity. I'd suggest perhaps adding in more plants, and getting more tunnel-like hides which you can see down- the really big plumbing pipes work well in this capacity.
Hope this helps, and hope you're holding up after your loss *Hugs*.

Harpii

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for the reply, as for keeping an eye on them i just meant being able to see them easier and get to them easier if they do get sick or ill, as we still arent 100% sure what caused axls death, I can only pressume it was from his wounds, along with being in shock and stressed, but if it was something else i would prefer them in a tank thats easier to access as well as if they ever do get ill in the future . All their hides and hiding places are easy to see into, the only time they completely dissappear out of sight is when they go right to the back of the tank behind the drift wood. I only put the light on in the evenings for a little while to help the plants so they definately have plenty of privacy in a nice dark tank. After reading your post and talking to other axie owners we are looking for a tank of similar length, but one that is only 1-2 ft deep instead of 3 ft as I have to stand on a chair to be able to even reach the bottom of the tank to siphon the sand. The other main issue with this tank is the curve at the front, it has to have a support bar along the top which gets in the way during feeding time and when cleaning so we just want a simpler tank thats easier to manage. For now they will be staying in this tank as we dont have the funds for new one but i wanted some ideas on what would be best so i know what to look for. Thank you again for help, i appreciate it :) We are doing ok, its upsetting and ive been looking out for any aggressive behaviour but they seem to be acting as they always have, i'll never know what truly happened, i just hope nothing like it happens again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1