Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often and how much do you water change?

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Day 2 of Axie owndership :) and another question.
Is it better to do small water changes more often or larger ones less often? I don't want to stress them out by messing around with their tank too much.

576946_272368352880962_602405028_n.jpg

Cheva

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of Axie ownership ... I personally do 1/4 every week :)

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
20% weekly is about the average, which really isn't a huge amount if their tank is on the large size, as it should be :eek:

krom

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I registered for a few months, but I write just because I have a bad English. (For now, writing more, perhaps learn better) I have a tank of 250 liters or 55 U. S. gallons I think, with a pair of Axolotl and many plants and biological filter outside. Exchange on 30 X100 every two weeks .. is enough? after 10 months I have never had problems,,,,, you think, I do often change water?

Bdyoung

Reaction score
It depends if you do small water changes and you have a bigger tank adding chemicals to your water to get rid of chlorine isn't necessary so its a little easier that way. It really just depends on how fast your water quality goes from good to bad.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
When and how much of water change is going to be different for everyone. For Example a 55 gallon planted tank with two Axolotls that are fed 4 times a weeks may only need a water change once or twice a month. But a 55 gallon tank with 6 Axolotls, no plants and fed 6-7 days a week might need a water change once a week or more. Then if you have a bio-filter or a that can extend needed water changes. I personally think a weekly water change no greater than 20% is best. You would do this while syphoning out detritus with a weekly tank cleaning anyway. Doing larger volume changes can cause temperature and pH shock. If you find your tank at dangerous pH and ammonia levels it's best you use a small air tube to add clean water to the tank. If you can't do that just add the water slowly over a 30 minutes time period. Doing it this way causes the pH and temperature to change slowly. This helps your axolotl to slowly adjust to the new conditions avoiding shock.

krom

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think better to change less water more often. Here in Rome, has good water to drink and also to Axolot, pH 7-7.5 with very little chemically treated to be potable. I do decant 2 days and use water conditioner only for my sake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!