Question: Larvae floating to the top! Help Please!?!

vonchmessica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi There,
Myself and my partner purchased 2 axolotl's and their tank set up in July. As we have never owned these little creatures before so we asked the seller to make sure they were both the same sex to avoid breeding something we know little about. We were very surprised to find that 2 weeks later all the plants in the tank were covered in eggs! I couldn't bring myself to kull them, and so began our journey! That was 8 1/2 weeks ago and now I have about 30 larvae that I've tried my best to keep healthy and happy.

Lately though, some of the larvae have been struggling to swim to the bottom of the tank, they float to the top and a few of them have even rolled over. I've read up about it online but can't seem to find any helpful. Here is what I put it down to;

• Changing their diet from Baby Brine shrimp to Blood worms - although I did do this gradually maybe it has still affected them?
  • Water changes - although I have not changed the technique that I've used since they first hatched, only filled the tank higher and then naturally taking more water out when cleaning.
  • Unhealthy water - I've checked the PH which seems to be lower than it should be, around the lighter yellow. I change the water, add salt crystals and conditioner like I always have and this makes it a healthier green on the tester, but I'm not sure why this keeps lowing into the lower PH levels?
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe a combination of things. If anyone has any helpful tips I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for reading :)

Vonchmessica

It's likely they're not getting enough food. Put them in a shallow container saturated with food. Change the water after every feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back