Best Axolotl tank... EVER!!!

Kurtlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am taking a biology class in which we must create an ideal environment for an organism in which the organism will breed and thrive. When the class is over my sister is planning on keeping the group and I am taking one to live in my dorm with me :) my question for you all what do you suggest doing to make this the best environment possible, while still being true to their natural environment?

hmmmm... well axolotls are native to two lakes in mexico. I don't know much about the bottom of those two lakes specifically, but here's some guesses based off lakes in general.

Muddy bottom. LARGE rocks. Some driftwood and fallen leaves, and some tallish plants (absolutely necessary if you want them to breed, else the female will struggle laying her eggs)

Edit: and please remember they need cool water and pretty much zero flow (lake = still water)

Just make sure the rocks are much much larger than the axolotl's head. They might accidentally ingest them otherwise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back