Tannins

Harpii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyway to get rid of tannins from wood? We have soaked and boiled our wood on more than one occassion when we first bought it but it still turns the water brown :/ I know it doesnt harm the axies, it just looks mucky and would like the water to be a little clearer.

Activated carbon in your filter should get rid of the tannins.

To be honest though, you'll be buying a lot of activated carbon for a while. My wood was boiled and then submerged for about 7 months and it's still putting out lots and lots of tannins. Average sized pieces can release tannins for years.

It also isn't just safe for axies. Tannins are GREAT for them! It's very good for their skin and keeps them happy.

Would using it for a little while reduce the darkness? Im not too bothered about getting rid of it completely, I would just like the water to look a little cleaner, if you know what i mean, though I can imagine their natural habitat is quite murkey anyway. Thanks so much for the reply and help :)

It also isn't just safe for axies. Tannins are GREAT for them! It's very good for their skin and keeps them happy.

Absolutely, positively wrong. Unless you can support such a misdirected claim with proper facts, you should refrain from giving such awful advice.

Tannins are NOT good for them. They lower the pH and do horrible things to gills and skin in high concentrations.

Would using it for a little while reduce the darkness? Im not too bothered about getting rid of it completely, I would just like the water to look a little cleaner, if you know what i mean, though I can imagine their natural habitat is quite murkey anyway. Thanks so much for the reply and help :)

I f the water is that dark, get that wood out of there and get your poor critter into some proper water ASAP. Have a go at the "Wood" Article on caudata culture for the right way to handle wood in aquariums.

No its not dark you can see everything fine, i said dark because the waters not clear its brown, so for any confusion, their water quality is 100% perfect with all the parameters i would just like it to be a bit crisper in apperance.

If it is mopani wood, then the tannins do not lower the PH. ;)

A lot of forum members have asked about tannins, and the general consensus was that they were fine. Regardless, diligent water changes should be performed, and you should not let it get brown. Too much of anything is always bad.

It goes brown within a few days but the water quality is always fine, i tested it today, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrates 5 and ph 7.6. Its like a clear green/brown, we do weekly changes but it always goes back to the same colour, i will try the carbon and see how it works, we've had the axies since april along with the brown water and its never caused a problem but ive always disliked it.
Its never lowered our ph or had any adverse effects before, and as i said we boiled and soaked the wood twice before. We are moving soon, not far, would it be ok to soak it the night before we move and then pop it back in the tank at the new place? I was thinking maybe third time lucky lol if it still releases tannis then i'll look into the activated carbon or any other suggestions anyone else has :) Thank you for all the advise.

Absolutely, positively wrong. Unless you can support such a misdirected claim with proper facts, you should refrain from giving such awful advice.

Tannins are NOT good for them. They lower the pH and do horrible things to gills and skin in high concentrations.

Hmmm it would be nice if you could make your statement without being so rude.

Everything I know about tannins I've learned from users on this site. I don't have any studies, but here is a thread:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ussion/65987-tannins-beneficial-axolotls.html

and some info on tannins for treating skin issues and illness (scroll down to "tea bath"):

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

So could I see some info backing your claim? I'm a little confused as to why the majority of the aquarium hobbyists consider tannins beneficial, and will actually spend money in order to introduce tannins into their tanks. My axies have had driftwood in their tank (constantly) leaching tannins for over 6 months now and not only have there been no negative effects, but I've never seen them healthier in the year I've owned them.

If I'm killing my axolotls, tell me why because I am generally concerned for them. But literally everything I've ever seen about tannins has been positive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back