Question: Epoxy for a Tank substrate.

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, all. Im a potential Axie owner, looking into setting up a tank and I've been doing lots of reading so it will all go smoothly once I start getting things set up and into place. I've searched the forums, but have had no answer on a particular issue.

Is a two-part Epoxy Resin an acceptable substrate for an Axie tank. Im not sure of the brand that I have (it's from an old project, and I havent used it) but im thinking of mixing it with gravel and letting it cure. If it's safe (as in NON-TOXIC), it will add a beautiful gravel look, while not allowing the gravel to be sucked up, while also completely covering it (but adding some texture for grip) so that the filter can keep the tank clean. I find this preferable to simply gluing the gravel to the tank with sealant as our founder has suggested.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to fully explain what I was doing, and thinking, so as to avoid as much confusion as possible. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated, as well as any instructions on where to start looking for good info.

Best thing to do when you are unsure, just don't use it. I've never used anything that I wasn't certain of. It'll be awful to use something and then later have health issues with your Axolotl. Most pet stores and even Mom and Pop stores carry (Aqua Safe) brands. You can even go to Home Depot or Lowes and get the aquarium safe stuff. I got mine from Home Depot when I was getting glass cut as lids for my tanks.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll probably be using this instead of an epoxy to encapsulate the gravel, and possibly some sand. As long as I can find some that cures clear. It'll be a decorated rubber floor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back