Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Cloudiness/Filter Issues?

leigh

Reaction score
Help! I've had my axolotl for about 1 month he is a juvenile and I'm keeping him in a 6.5 gallon desktop tank with no substrate some river rocks (larger than his head) a half log for him to hide under and a little feeding tray.

The filter I am currently using is the Tetra Whisper over-hanging bio-bag filter and I'm having some issues with it.. it gets dirty really fast and starts overflowing after only 4-5 days! Is it because my axolotl is too dirty of an animal for a filter like this?

The cloudiness is not due to a substrate or leftover foods and wastes, I remove all of these daily.

Can someone help recommend a better filter or another possible reason for my issue?

Other details- I cycled the water with live bacteria before putting my axie in there, The tank is kept at 62 degrees, the filter has an option to lower the water flow but it's still possibly a little much. I do water changes every week- 20%

someone please help - the water is very cloudy pretty frequently and I just want my axolotl to be healthy and live in clean water :(

argray90

Reaction score
Help! I've had my axolotl for about 1 month he is a juvenile and I'm keeping him in a 6.5 gallon desktop tank with no substrate some river rocks (larger than his head) a half log for him to hide under and a little feeding tray.

The filter I am currently using is the Tetra Whisper over-hanging bio-bag filter and I'm having some issues with it.. it gets dirty really fast and starts overflowing after only 4-5 days! Is it because my axolotl is too dirty of an animal for a filter like this?

The cloudiness is not due to a substrate or leftover foods and wastes, I remove all of these daily.

Can someone help recommend a better filter or another possible reason for my issue?

Other details- I cycled the water with live bacteria before putting my axie in there, The tank is kept at 62 degrees, the filter has an option to lower the water flow but it's still possibly a little much. I do water changes every week- 20%

someone please help - the water is very cloudy pretty frequently and I just want my axolotl to be healthy and live in clean water :(

First I would say a 6.5 gallon tank is too small for life (I am sure you know this already though). I am not sure what a better filter is but I have read that overflow of HOB filters is because of build up from waste and other things that get in the filter. Since you have a rather small tank have you ever considered going with sponge filters? You would have to change the water more frequently I would guess but it would probably make you axie a lot happier.

leigh

Reaction score
Well it's not the log, it's made out of resin not actual wood. I don realize a 6.5 is too small and it would be my preference to have him in a 10 gal or larger but I can't give him those accommodations right now. How much are sponge filters and what do you recommend? some links would be very helpful. Also how much water should I change out and how frequently with a sponge filter?

How do I solve a buildup problem in a hanging filter?

- still clueless

update: the water is even cloudier today but I'm trying to let the cycle continue instead of emptying the tank. My axie seems fine though and I fed him today

leigh

Reaction score
First I would say a 6.5 gallon tank is too small for life (I am sure you know this already though). I am not sure what a better filter is but I have read that overflow of HOB filters is because of build up from waste and other things that get in the filter. Since you have a rather small tank have you ever considered going with sponge filters? You would have to change the water more frequently I would guess but it would probably make you axie a lot happier.
Well it's not the log, it's made out of resin not actual wood. I don realize a 6.5 is too small and it would be my preference to have him in a 10 gal or larger but I can't give him those accommodations right now. How much are sponge filters and what do you recommend? some links would be very helpful. Also how much water should I change out and how frequently with a sponge filter?

How do I solve a buildup problem in a hanging filter?

- still clueless

update: the water is even cloudier today but I'm trying to let the cycle continue instead of emptying the tank. My axie seems fine though and I fed him today

argray90

Reaction score
I will send you all the info I have on my sponge filters when I get home (getting my bow fixed now for deer season tomorrow). As far as water changes with sponge filters you just need to test water parameters and change water as necessary. Since you did not know bigger floor space is always better your axie could potentially in a year be longer then a 6.5 gallon. When you talk about axies minimum is a 10 gallon. Personally I'd never go below a 20 gallon Long. Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale on fish tanks right now so you could get a much better tank for $20 + tax.

Olivia97

Reaction score
I'm not sure of your location but Eheim filters are great! you can get the intank ones and you can lower the flow of the water. The cloudyness may be because of the cycling, it may not be properly cycled and it could also be the filter re-introducing the bacteria ino the tank. Good luck :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Even if you can't afford a new aquarium, rubbermaid tubs are a cost-effective means of housing axies!

+1 for sponge filters. I have them in all my aquatic tanks, even the ones with a regular filter. They help adequately circulate the water, especially if you have a HOB filter on one side of the tank. Plus, you can never have too much surface area for beneficial bacteria.

leigh

Reaction score
Here is the sponge filter:

Foam Aquarium Biological Filters: Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters

Here is the pump:

Aquarium Air Pumps: Whisper Air Pumps

It is all about what do you want to do for your axie, If I was you I would invest in a much better tank. I compare axies to freshwater stringrays. If you do not provide the proper floor space they will not be happy.
So my plan of action is to get the sponge filter and a 10 gal tank because I live in a dorm and can't get one any bigger than that... I'm going to keep my axolotl in the cloudy tank until I've cycled the new one for a week or two and then move him over gradually. thanks for the help everyone, I think the cloudiness might just be bacterial bloom because my tank is still cycling but my parameters are great and my axolotl's behavior seems normal/healthy.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If your tank is still cycling, you might as well get the bigger tank and move it now. A tank doesn't cycle in a week, and there's no point in cycling 2 tanks.

Move everything from your 6.5 to the 10, and top off with fresh water.

leigh

Reaction score
If your tank is still cycling, you might as well get the bigger tank and move it now. A tank doesn't cycle in a week, and there's no point in cycling 2 tanks.

Move everything from your 6.5 to the 10, and top off with fresh water.
Well should I put my chiller on a rubbermaid tub and use some of the old water to keep him somewhere while I cycle the new 10 gal with the sponge filter and a combination of the old and new water? My tank just looks so dense right now. My axie looked a little anemic today but otherwise he's fine and ate as well.

idk he is just living in a cloud and I really want to get him out of there so that I can see him better and keep his tank clean as well.

My sponge filter is coming in on wednesday and I already have my 10 gallon tank, but I don't to put him in there right away, what is my best plan of action?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your tank will cycle eventually whether you make an effort to do it or not. It's just the nature of aquatic systems.

I'm just confused as to why you don't want to put it in the 10gal. What's the point of using a Rubbermaid if you already have the 10gal?

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
I will send you all the info I have on my sponge filters when I get home (getting my bow fixed now for deer season tomorrow). As far as water changes with sponge filters you just need to test water parameters and change water as necessary. Since you did not know bigger floor space is always better your axie could potentially in a year be longer then a 6.5 gallon. When you talk about axies minimum is a 10 gallon. Personally I'd never go below a 20 gallon Long. Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale on fish tanks right now so you could get a much better tank for $20 + tax.

for those of you looking to buy, petco is indeed having a sale, however it only applies to 10, 20L, and 40 breeder tanks (at least at my local store) just picked up a 40, because it was too cheap not to buy.:D

leigh

Reaction score
Your tank will cycle eventually whether you make an effort to do it or not. It's just the nature of aquatic systems.

I'm just confused as to why you don't want to put it in the 10gal. What's the point of using a Rubbermaid if you already have the 10gal?
Well this is what I'm currently doing, I'm trying to filter my new 10 gallon using some of the old water and topped off with distilled water but it still looks horrible :( I've determined that it's my tap water and that there are lots of dissolved organic compounds in it because my tank is just getting cloudier and cloudier and cloudier for about a week now and I'm trying really hard not to panic but it's not looking any better.

It wouldn't bother me if it was just a little cloudy but it is really bad and I can barely see anything. I've got my axolotl in a tupperware right now while this tank is cycling and I'm trying to get the cloudiness cleaned up. Maybe I'll just do partial water changes with distilled water that has a stress coat until it clears up? How long is my axie good for in this tupperware?

helphelphelphelphelp

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
as long as his water is clean, he'll be fine. I'f you're using distilled water, be sure to treat it with some minerals first. As far as stress coat, I've heard varying views to whether these are safe or not

leigh

Reaction score
as long as his water is clean, he'll be fine. I'f you're using distilled water, be sure to treat it with some minerals first. As far as stress coat, I've heard varying views to whether these are safe or not
what types of minerals do I add to my distilled water for an axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1