Reducing water filter water flow?

emily74

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily74
Hi all!
I checked to see if I could find the answer with the search but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. I have a hot magnum canister filter for my axies. Originally this tank was a saltwater tank and we gave up on it 2 months ago. So the tank was cleaned well, as was the filter and everything inside it was replaced to make sure no salt remained. now my problem is that the filter is blowing the water out too hard. I tried pointing the tube that the water flows out of toward a wall, to slow/break up the flow but it doesn't help much. Today I bought a biobag filter, put it over the tube and tied it there. It seems to slow the flow down considerably, and the axies already seem less stressed (their gills are looking relaxed and not curled.) I'm wondering this can damage my filter? I don't want to get a different one just because this was very expensive and I would like to use it. But I don't want to break it either trying to make it more suitable to their needs. Also are there any other ways I could slow the flow? There isn't anything on the filter itself to regulate the flow. It's a 20 tall (I want to get a long soon) so stacking things for the flow to hit and break up isn't really practical - plus you can't point the tube downward. Anyways any ideas would be appreciated :)
BTW my axies are about 4 inches

My suggestion would be to drill some more holes in the spray bar, which is the tube that water flows through into the tank.

OR you can do a DIY spray bar which is what I am currently working on for my tank to prevent even less water flow. Here is an extremely well written article.

FX5 Spray Bar Start to Finish... • Cichlid-Forum

oh this is great, thank you so much!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back