Chinese Fire Bellied Newt Hurt?

jennamae93

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jenna
Hello. I am new to the forum and just purchased a Chinese Fire Bellied Newt the other day. I had gravel in the tank (big enough so he wouldn't eat it) and he must have been digging and got his front right foot caught/pinched. He now only has about one finger and a half on his paw. I switched his gravel to sand today so he wouldn't hurt himself again. I also got him a friend and they seem to like each other very much. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be doing for his paw, or whether it will heal over and his toes will eventually grow back? Thanks for any help.

Make sure you keep the water cool to help prevent infection/rot is the only thing I can think of. I read somewhere (cannot remember where, so I wouldn't rely on this too much), that if you use neosporin without pain reliever additives on the wound it should help the newt heal.

I want to reiterate that I have never tried this last method and I am not sure about it's effectiveness or healthiness, maybe someone else can confirm it?

EDIT: Here, I found a link talking about the neosporin and newts elsewhere on the forum
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...nder-help/71239-applying-neosporin-ulcer.html

Make sure you keep the water cool to help prevent infection/rot is the only thing I can think of. I read somewhere (cannot remember where, so I wouldn't rely on this too much), that if you use neosporin without pain reliever additives on the wound it should help the newt heal.

I want to reiterate that I have never tried this last method and I am not sure about it's effectiveness or healthiness, maybe someone else can confirm it?

EDIT: Here, I found a link talking about the neosporin and newts elsewhere on the forum
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...nder-help/71239-applying-neosporin-ulcer.html

Thank you for the help. His water is definitely cool, so hopefully that will help. I'll have to find some Neosporin without pain killer and see if that helps at all. Again, thanks.

The missing fingers are likely the product of a flesh-eating infection. Such infections are very common in these newts because the importation process takes a very heavy toll on their inmune system and exposes them to all sorts of patogens. Unfortunately, they are difficult to treat and heartbreaking to observe.
The standard treatment are salt baths or the Neosporin (without painkillers). Make sure all conditions are optimal as that´s the only chance that its inmune system might recover enough to do something.

Separate the newts ASAP.

The missing fingers are likely the product of a flesh-eating infection. Such infections are very common in these newts because the importation process takes a very heavy toll on their inmune system and exposes them to all sorts of patogens. Unfortunately, they are difficult to treat and heartbreaking to observe.
The standard treatment are salt baths or the Neosporin (without painkillers). Make sure all conditions are optimal as that´s the only chance that its inmune system might recover enough to do something.

Separate the newts ASAP.

Thank you for the information. I separated them. I'll have to try both the salt bath and the Neosporin. Hopefully he'll get better, but if not, I'll understand. I haven't seen him eat anything, so that's also not good either. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back