Baby leucistic? What type of eyes?

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a juvenile that is very white like a leucistic, but with a gold ring in its eyes like a wild-type.

Its parents were a melanid and a wild-type, and all its siblings were the same - melanid or wild-type. In the previous hatching from the same pair, there was also just one light coloured one and the rest dark. But that died early so I didn't see the colour develop.

I have seen adult leucistic, and they seem to have dark eyes with no gold ring. Or at least I never noticed a gold ring...

So my question is - does a leucistic normally have a gold ring in their eyes?
What colour type is this baby?

I will try and post a photo...

if i had to guess, I'd say it's a copper? post a pic and i'll give a better guess.

^^ Coppers have red eyes as they are a type of albino. Photo's would be awesome :happy:

I think I might have one exactly the same although my baby came out of a dark copper female crossed with a grey/purple copper male. As soon as all the babies had hatched this one stood out as much whiter than the rest and also developed very slowly. It's been by itself for quite a while as I feared it would quickly get eaten. It has strikingly silver eyes, even the iris, which look like kitchen foil (see second photo).

I've never bred leucistics before so I guess it could be one but would it be possible to get a leucistic out of two albinos (which is essentially what the parents are)? I guess the other option is that it's a very pale coloured copper?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome

Regards Neil

Attachments

• juvie1.jpg
    juvie1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 6,267
  • juvie2.jpg
    juvie2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,244
There are two types of leucistics. Melanoid leucistics and plain old leucistics (don't know if they have their own technical name).

Melanoid leucistics do not show irridophore expression and have solid black eyes (which is what I'm assuming you're used to).

Regular leucistics DO show irrodophore expression, and have the shiny ring around their eye.

I have a melanoid leucistic female and a wild type male. When they bred, I got a 60/40 ratio of leucistic/melanoid. ALL had the shiny eye ring.

It's nothing uncommon or to be worried about :)

Thanks all. Most informative hacelepues!

My phone camera won't talk to my computer, so I still can't post a photo, sorry.

This little leucistic has developed slowly - not quite the smallest runt (she unexpectedly ate the smallest of the batch) but she was well behind other siblings in development. At least a month behind.

Sometimes I think I can see tiny brown spots on her back - but they are so light that I often can't see them either.

I am looking forward to seeing her grow!

(Gender reference made purely for ease - I hate calling them 'it')

Makes sense haha. Leucistics tend to grow more slowly than other morphs. Don't be alarmed if she gets some spots. Young leucistics can get a little speckly!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back