Question: Help setting up a tank for 3 juvenile axolotls using equipment on-hand

jen627

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the forums and to axolotls. I've done tons of reading and am familiar with their basic care requirements, but most of what I've read on housing size pertains to adult axolotls. I'll be getting 3 juveniles soon, so I'd like some advice on a temporary setup for them while they grow. (Ideally using some of the spare tanks and equipment I've accumulated during my years of fishkeeping to avoid putting money into a temporary setup.)

I have a 10 gallon and 29 gallon aquarium available, along with an assortment of HOB filters. The 10 gallon seems way too small to divide 3 ways. Personally, I'm leaning toward the 29 gallon, which gives more floor space, but I'm worried about the height. Would juvies be ok with that kind of depth or should I only partially fill it? If it's not full though, that kind of nixes using the HOB filter I already have. Really wish I still had my 20 long tank right about now...

Basically, the dilemma I keep running into is this: Do I buck up and buy a 20 long, or do I figure out some kind of alternate filtration for my 29 gallon? (Or am I worrying too much and a full 29 gallon with HOB would be just fine) :confused:

All advice and/or other suggestions are much appreciated!

Also, I'd like to make clear that I'm willing to buy additional equipment as needed to properly care for my axies. I was just hoping not to have more aquarium stuff sitting around once they outgrow the tank. But if none of my proposed setups would be suitable, please don't hesitate to say so.

I don't really believe in 'temporary' enclosures for juveniles. They grow extraordinarily fast, and will be practically adult size within a few months. So why not just get them into their adult setup now and let them grow into it?

This is better for a couple reasons. For one, you're not spending the extra money/time/effort to set up multiple enclosures. Plus, a larger tank means a better buffer against water quality, and makes cycling much easier.

Thanks for the response. The reason I was looking to do a temporary setup with an old tank is because I wanted an easy way to keep the axies separate during their cannibalistic stage. I'm looking to get a large shallow tank custom built for them later on and I don't think there would be a good way to divide it. I was also hoping to get a feel for what things I liked and didn't like about the temporary equipment setup so I could design the adult tank exactly how I wanted it instead of essentially guessing what works and then trying to retrofit. Since the adult tank is probably going to cost a pretty penny, I'd rather do it right the first time. I don't mind the time and effort of multiple setups (or even spending a little extra now for temporary equipment) to get the most out of my investment into a custom tank.

I appreciate your comments though. I will see if there is a way I can swing a larger tank now. Originally, I had considered housing the adults in a 40 breeder but after looking at a tank that size in the pet store, it seemed on the small side for 3. Back to the drawing board I guess!

The 29 you have will work just fine, same floor space as a 20 long just taller, keep it bare bottomed and don't worry about dividing it. I have raised several batches and never divide them all into their own spaces. I keep them well fed and allow for several hides and you will be fine with the 29 gal till you can afford the larger breeder or 40 long.

The depth of the water will be fine. The hang on backs can have large enough intake slats that an arm can become trapped so I put sponges over the intake tube. They prevent trapping the little critters and act as both a per filter as well as additional surface area for good bacteria.

Or you can do cheap plastic bins till they are bigger juvies.

Just my opinions on the matter.

Deff no need to buy a 20L if you have a 29 available and don't worry about the height of the water some sites claim they can't swim high which is a lie. If you are looking for a bigger tank for life Petco has $1 per gallon tank sale right now. I am probably going to pick up 2 extra tanks just because they are so cheap. Just be careful with the HOB filter that it is not too high of a water current. Also no need to divide the tank into sections as mentioned before just keep them well fed with lots of hides.

I agree with Kaysie. There's nothing wrong with having juvies in a temp tank - it's just more hassle for the hobbyist; smaller tanks need to be cleaned more, you'd need to do yet another cycle on the later tank and it really wouldn't last them that long as they grow...FAST. I've had 3 juvies in a 4ft tank since they were 2 inches long (approx) - I could just about keep an eye on them! I've never had any casualty's or limbs bitten off. I kept them fed on frozen bloodworm when they were still iddy biddy but changed to earthworm and pellets once they were able to take bigger mouthfuls. If you feel that's what you want to do in the meantime though, it should be fine. Just be prepared for when they need bigger digs! :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back