Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank :D

Olivia97

Reaction score
Just like to show off my new tank :D send me decoration suggestions i will be buying plants (please let me know good ones)

Attachments

• IMG_4232[1].jpg
    IMG_4232[1].jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,956

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
looks nice. I've heard java moss and java fern are excellent live plants, and just wondering why the water isn't more full.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Make sure that sand isn't calcium based. Other than that you should be good to go. You don't need to fill the tank up all the way, but it would make maintaining the water quality much easier if you did.

Any of the "java" plants would be very easy to care for. Just make sure their rhizome is above the sand (they like to be attached to things), and then you won't have to worry about them ever.

Olivia97

Reaction score
The water isn't more full purely because I'm indecive of where it will go so I figure rather than waste the water. The sand is silica :)

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Is that stand only temporary? If not, you should really find a better stand because the tank needs to be fully supported or else it will crack!

Olivia97

Reaction score
My local bunnings. was very expensive but worth it, our decor in that room is green and dark browns so its just like another decoration ;)

Olivia97

Reaction score
Okay, updated tank heaps of plants :)

i have a problem the ammonia is .25 ppm however nitrite and nitrate are at 0

any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4383[1].jpg
    IMG_4383[1].jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 248

Minniechild

Reaction score
That's pretty normal in a new setup as the bacteria that will deal with Mr. B's poop need to multiply (or, to be technical, your tank needs to cycle :D). Do small changes every day (around 10-20%, which you can take out in small quantities), keep monitoring, and the bacteria will eventually colonise enough that your levels should reach the optimal levels :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1