Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Axolotl out of water

stevenwignet

Reaction score
I was sent this by a friend of mine

Here is what can happen if an axolotl jumps out of its tank.

it was found yesterday on the floor all curled up in a small bundle looking extremely sorry for itself, all dried out. It had been out of water for nearly 10 hours.

it was put in a fresh tub of clean water and here is what it looks like a day later, it actually survived. Some tend to die within hours of putting back in water but this little one survived although looks extremely poor looking.

As you can see its gills are facing forward meaning its severely stressed and tail still curled but not as bad as it was.

attached is 2 images and one video.

DSCN0521 - YouTube

Attachments

• DSCN0526.jpg
    DSCN0526.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 230,200
  • DSCN0525.jpg
    DSCN0525.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 21,745

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
poor creature. although it's gills are forward, they are nice and feathery, hopefully it pulls through and survives.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Many times, death isn't immediate, but happens days later from secondary infection. I've got my fingers crossed! Definitely try things like indian almond leaves or tea baths.

hacelepues

Reaction score
I hope he pulls through. My little guy survived for two days before dying. It's an awful feeling.

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
What is the best aquarium cover to keep them from jumping out?? Is this a common problem??

JessKB

Reaction score
Get a screen lid from the petstore. Theyre usually in the reptile section. Axolotls can move very fast when scared so I would think they could jump a few inches, but ive never experienced a jumping axolotl before.

Sent from my M865C using Tapatalk 2

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
I've got about 5 inches of space between the water and the top of the tank, and 4.5 inch long axies, do you think that is safe?

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Get a screen lid from the petstore. Theyre usually in the reptile section. Axolotls can move very fast when scared so I would think they could jump a few inches, but ive never experienced a jumping axolotl before.

I wouldn't use a reptile screen just cause the fact it's metal and I don't like metal next to or on top of my tank. I would use egg crate it's also cheaper.

dvsgal

Reaction score
My very first axolotl jumped out and landed on my arm, since then i never ever fill
the tank all the way up, i fill to halfway then one more full bucket
For good luck.
But shouldntt this axolotl be in the fridge??

hacelepues

Reaction score
If it's still ok now then I guess there's no point in fridging so many days later. But I would have fridged him right away.

Ghost1

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a reptile screen just cause the fact it's metal and I don't like metal next to or on top of my tank. I would use egg crate it's also cheaper.

What's wrong with metal?

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
I'm guessing metal is abrasive and bad for their skin and slime coat. I was thinking of making a screened top with a nylon screen. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

stevenwignet

Reaction score
and how high can they jump?

they can jump quite high, once they get some speed on them the height they can jump is more than you realise.

But shouldntt this axolotl be in the fridge??

Everyone has different ways of looking after axolotls, my friend, including me would not put in fridge, its easier to just regular change water and leave them in peace to recover at their own pace.

If it's still ok.

It is still alive and recovering well.

JessKB

Reaction score
I'm guessing metal is abrasive and bad for their skin and slime coat. I was thinking of making a screened top with a nylon screen. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

How is a screen lid going to be abrasive to their skin? The lid wont be in the water and axolotls dont jump like salmon. A screen lid is 100% safe.

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Not 100% if it ever gets wet and starts dripping into the aquarium it's dripping toxins into the tank. Plus egg crate is cheaper.

JessKB

Reaction score
Not 100% if it ever gets wet and starts dripping into the aquarium it's dripping toxins into the tank. Plus egg crate is cheaper.

That is simply not true. commercial screens are coated to be rust resistent. I suppose if you had the screen im contact with the water 100% of the time, or had water running through it you might run into trouble. I will dump water right through the screen to make up for evaperation loss and have never had any problems even with sensitive species like n. maculosus. To each their own but alot of us ( I would even hazard to guess most of us) use metal lids. They are safe and easily aquired by those new to the hobby. Proper air flow is an important aspect to keeping any salamander, and as this thread demonstrates, lids should be used.

hacelepues

Reaction score
I think maybe by abrasive, coregamer meant that if the axolotl were to leap out of the water, it might hit the screen, and that could scrape it's skin. Sort of like if you fall on asphalt. You get a nasty scrape.

I know I've gotten rugburn like scrapes from a screen door. And axie skin is much more sensitive.

xcoregamerskill

Reaction score
I think maybe by abrasive, coregamer meant that if the axolotl were to leap out of the water, it might hit the screen, and that could scrape it's skin. Sort of like if you fall on asphalt. You get a nasty scrape.

I know I've gotten rugburn like scrapes from a screen door. And axie skin is much more sensitive.

That is exactly what I mean, especially if someone keeps their water on the full side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!