Question: Neurergus kaiseri rearing tank idea

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
7yrudyhe.jpg

My idea is to create a rearing tank which provides natural habitat, read that the Neurergus larvae develop in streams on rock.

So the idea is to create a current with a small filter. Also to be able to increase the water slowly with a piece of moveable plastic in the tank which also lets current through but not as strong. A few rocks and maybe plants for natural enclosure. Also have a grid on the bottom of the tank to measure size as they develop.

I understand for rearing these are not essential but for my study to make it more naturalistic.

Looking for opinions

Awesome plan! I really like the idea of the grid on the bottom for measuring larva as they grow. How do you plan to support the moveable plastic divider so that it doesn't fall over? I haven't kept this species before...in the wild, where would the current be strongest? Top, middle, or bottom? If there isn't enough flow on the rearing side of the tank, you could add a row of holes on the bottom to increase the flow. Just some thoughts. Good luck, can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks the idea was to use little suckers on the glass or magnets. Idea is so instead of changing the whole environment with a new tank but gradually increase the tank. Thanks for your feedback.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back