Starter Axie?

kelsnels92

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

I recently stumbled upon some tanks with the cute little guys and they are to die for! I'd love to start a set up for maybe one or two but I know nothing about them except tidbits I've discovered on the Internet.

Any suggestions for a good beginner? It would have to be able to survive at around room temperature, if possible, and hopefully good coloration.

If anyone could impart some helpful knowledge I would be most appreciative!

- Kelsey

EDIT: Oops, wrong category. Although I guess here I could ask about some good beginner paddletails? Or if there are more than one species of paddle tail?

there are more than one species of paddle tail but i wouldn't suggest them because they need cold water.

also, there is only one species of axolotl, just different color varieties. so get any color type you want haha. personally i don't agree with the GFP type because its so unnatural.

Ahh I see. That's a shame. I'm aware that chillers could be used but that they can get quite pricey. :/

yeah I've been looking for a cheap chiller for weeks and can't find one ): i have to switch out ice water bottles every couple of hours for now which is a pain in the @$$. but my boyfriend is making me a sweet fan setup, so hopefully that will help bring it down a few degrees. as far as which newt/salamander to get, i know tiger salamanders (adults) can live in temps as high as like 75 or so, so that might be a good option :)

oh ****, i just saw you live in california and tiger sals aren't legal there. i suggest you just browse through some of the care sheets then and see which one would suit your lifestyle most :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back