Starting an Axie Set-up

kelsnels92

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ey all!

I recently stumbled upon some tanks with the cute little guys and they are to die for! I'd love to start a set up for maybe one or two but I know nothing about them except tidbits I've discovered on the Internet.

Any suggestions for a good beginner? It would have to be able to survive at around room temperature, if possible, and hopefully good coloration.

If anyone could impart some helpful knowledge I would be most appreciative!

I read something about UV lighting being bad for them but, if I did set up an axie tank, I would definitely want a planted. Any suggestions/experience with this?

I would also like to include a few fish species, if possible. Would they be consumed?

- Kelsey

Hi Kelsey, basically to keep an axolotl you have to have a big enough tank for the number of axolotls, the general rule is a gallon per axy. You can put plants in with a uv light as long as you have enough hides and usually the light on for maybe 4-5 hours is enough. Don't use a gravel floor, sand or bare glass bottom as axys will swallow anything smaller or the size of their head. They need water at a temperature between 14-20 degrees so most room temperature depending on your location and season. A diet for axolotls is usually earthworms, pellets and bloodworms. Try to steer clear of mealworms :)

Hi Kelsey, basically to keep an axolotl you have to have a big enough tank for the number of axolotls, the general rule is a gallon per axy. You can put plants in with a uv light as long as you have enough hides and usually the light on for maybe 4-5 hours is enough. Don't use a gravel floor, sand or bare glass bottom as axys will swallow anything smaller or the size of their head. They need water at a temperature between 14-20 degrees so most room temperature depending on your location and season. A diet for axolotls is usually earthworms, pellets and bloodworms. Try to steer clear of mealworms :)
Hey there Olivia!

Thanks for all the info. I've done some more reading and a low current rate is needed. What are the best ways to achieve this that is cost effective long term?

Also the colors. Is it mostly a matter of preference? Or do the different colorations end up having different body types (sorry if that is a stupid question).

In my head, I imagine I will use black sand with plenty of plants and rocks for cover. Perhaps a 20 gallon for a single axie.

Thanks!

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl

Caudata Culture has a wide range of caresheets for most types of newts and salamanders. It might help to read the caresheet on axolotls first and then read some of the articles on the second link. The information in these articles is really important for first time owners to understand as to avoid disasters.

Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

AHH those will be very helpful, thank you. I don't know if I'd be able to keep one without a chiller, considering how hot it gets in my room during the summer. D:

I don't have a chiller (and as an aussie it gets very hot) if the temperature rises too high i have a few frozen bottles in the freezer and just put them in. As for colour, its a matter of preference :) a filter with adjustable flow settings are life savers! or, you can create a spray bar, there's a few fact sheets on how to make one. or you might decide to just angle it slightly upward and towards the glass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back