Feeding while impacted

singhm29

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I made the mistake of allowing some trumpet snails in my tank thinking they would stay out of my axolotls view and just do their job of aerating the sand subsrate I have. Unfortunately the axo has eaten quite a few of these and while not looking distressed I can see abnormalities in its stomach. For now I am going to hope he can digest the shells but I am wondering if I should continue offering food during this time or if it would be better for him to pass this first.

Thanks

Should have also asked this in the previous post but would it be smarter to leave him in his current setup or move him to the fridge to help with passing the shells? As he isnt showing extreme lethargy at the moment and is still somewhat active.

If you know he's impacted, then pop him in a container of fresh dechlorinated water and put him in the fridge to see if he will poop. If he's interested in food, I would still feed small amounts. Good luck

As already said, if you're pretty sure he's impacted its probably best to put him in the fridge to see if anything passes. I wouldn't feed him an awful lot whilst he's in the fridge as his metabolism will come to a grinding halt. (He may even refuse food completely). Hopefully he should pass them quite quickly, good luck! :eek:

Having gone through a fair bit of mishaps with this little fellow I can somewhat tell when hes not being his normal self or when hes just sitting around after eating too much. Seems it was the latter this time around. After not being too active he picked up the pace and had normal droppings followed by a more white sand like one (i guess the shells of the MTS). He is back to his normal self now.

Thanks for the advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back