Question: Red on his gills

cahutch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Arlar
I've had my axolotl, Arlar for 3 months now, he is a golden albino. I have noticed in the past week or so he has developed a red/pinkish color on the very tips of his gills. It is not on all of them just 2 or 3 and again it is on the very tips. I just want to make sure its nothing serious before I start really worrying.

It's hard to diagnose a problem (if there is one) without a picture but from what you've said I'm sure its just natural colouring, Im assuming he/she is juvenile? My golden juvie has quite pinky gills which sometimes look red on the tips. As long as their eating well and seem happy in their environment I doubt it's anything to worry about :eek:

Usually on Goldie's, leucistic and albinos the bloodflow can be really obvious :)

It's hard to diagnose a problem (if there is one) without a picture but from what you've said I'm sure its just natural colouring, Im assuming he/she is juvenile? My golden juvie has quite pinky gills which sometimes look red on the tips. As long as their eating well and seem happy in their environment I doubt it's anything to worry about :eek:

Okay I'll just watch him a little longer, and he eats like a little piggy!:D

That's great to hear! As previously said colour change is always really noticeable on luecisitics, albinos etc. It can depend on how active the axolotls been, one day his gills could be really vibrant then really dull the next if he's been lazy :p Just keep an eye on him but I'm sure he's perfect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back