Question: Can Someone Please Sex my Axolotls?!

Male or Female?

• Total voters

DomDaw

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have had these two for a year or so, I though that by know I would be able to tell. One is a bit plumper than the other but I still cannot tell. None have larger cloaca regions. The only conclusion I can make is that they are both females. But its not very conclusive.. Any experts that can help me out?

Attachments

• Axolotl 1 (2).jpg
    Axolotl 1 (2).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Axolotl 2.jpg
    Axolotl 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 704
  • Axolotl 2 (3).jpg
    Axolotl 2 (3).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 600
  • Axolotl 2 (1).jpg
    Axolotl 2 (1).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 442
  • Axolotl 2 (4).jpg
    Axolotl 2 (4).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Axolotl 2 (5).jpg
    Axolotl 2 (5).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Axolotl 1 (4).jpg
    Axolotl 1 (4).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Axolotl 1 (3).jpg
    Axolotl 1 (3).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
I would say they're both female.

Yea, I'd say females :eek: It's usually very easy to tell whats male and from the pictures they seem to be lacking that certain 'something'!

I have the weirdest axie ever. From the right side she looks like a female and from the left side she looks a bit like a male. The 'thingy' down there is a little odd. But she has a typical plump female belly. So I hope I'm right or else I have more males than females... Again.

Thats really weird. I just brought another one. Hopefully I get a male this time!

I'm having trouble sexing my juvies at the moment, every axolotl I've had its always been so obvious! But these mites are giving me trouble. Sometimes they look rounder than other times, sometimes their cloaca's look larger, other times they don't. I highly doubt they're getting impactions as they've nothing to accidently swallow....I will put an end to the confusion eventually!

Dinx. If the axies that you are trying to sex are, in fact, juvies, you won't be able to sex them. They'll just be too young.

You want me to do what to your axies?! *gasp*

.... :wink: :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back