Emergency! Both Axolotls Swollen

AjaMichelle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help!

I just came home from work a few minutes ago and both of my axies are swollen!

What do I do?!

I'm doing water quality tests for Ammonia, Nitrates, and pH now.

The water temp is 69*F.
pH is between 7.5 and 8.0
Nitrates are about 40ppm
Ammonia is 0ppm

Female
A62B44B6-19E9-402D-AEE3-FB24CAA339B2-1079-00000074634AC8FB.jpg

Male
C7AE9C33-F6F9-4970-822E-28E7732A65D4-1079-000000746FFAF500.jpg

AA10747C-35DC-4749-B052-805F250C12B8-1079-000000748255BDE2.jpg

B0FF5F17-C08C-43CF-BD92-98A70C84E77A-1079-000000748828D8C1.jpg

A2AE75C2-424E-4EA1-88B8-31C7B0E4E9A3-1079-000000748EAF6AB4.jpg

Swollen where? I don't see anything unusual. If your talking about the cloaca then its normal for males to swell up sometimes especially when they want to breed.

Could you post a picture of the entire setup? What's their diet? Filtration?

Also it looks as though they are slightly stressed based on those photos (their gills) it may have to do with filtration issues

Thanks for your replies everyone! :)

I thought the female looked swollen around her back legs. Thanks for the information about the male's enlarged vent. I didn't know about that but it makes sense! :)

I see how you're getting the stress message from his gills. This is due in part because he was lying directly under the filter that oxygenates his tank. He's been really obviously veiny for the last two days. I fed them last on Thursday and they've been looking and acting strangely since then.

The two share water in a gravity siphon/pump loop
LeucyandBuddystankset-up.jpg

In total the system is about 50 gallons of water.

I did a 50% water change and a 50% mechanical media change since checking the water quality.

Their diet consists mostly of night crawlers and I try to include rotational items like beefheart and the freshwater multi-pack from San Francisco Bay Brand.

For filtration I have a Fluval 205 and to oxygenate the male's tank I have an Aquaclear Power Filter rated for 30 gallons. Each are run on low settings. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

I didn't want to leave you hanging so was wondering do you feel your girl still looks swollen? Its hard to tell from the pictures but from experience I severely doubt its bloat. Their abdomens usually increase dramatically to begin with, followed by leg and neck swelling. To neutralize the water nasties it works best doing smaller water changes daily (20%) which I know is a lot of work but it should make a difference, just keep checking the quality until you feel it's stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back